Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• box cushion - corners, help required please

I'm going to scream soon.

Please tell me, what is the best/easiest/neatest way to deal with the corners on a box seat cushion. I'm currently recovering a chair with a drop in box seat - foam. Trying to make a new cover for it and no matter how hard I try, I can't get the corners right. Have got top and bottom pieces cut out, and a single piece welt for 2/3 way round (involving 2 corners). Obviously, have separate welt for rear section with zip in - which is curved, so no corners, successfully attached. I just can't get the corners right. Is it best, when sewing, to have the welt uppermost? or the other way round?

Any help gratefully received.

Chris

Re: box cushion - corners, help required please

I always sew with the welt on top of the piping, and when you get to the corner, stitch right up to the corner, reverse slighlty and then snip the welt nearly up to the stitching line. As you stitch round the corner use a very small stitch size ease the welt round as you stitch. Once the cover is complete I often stitch the corners again on the other side i.e welt underneath just to get the stitching a little closer to the piping.
    Good Luck
    Julie
    Julie

Comment

Box cushion - YouTube video

I haven't watched all the videos, but this may help you

[youtube:2a0pjf36]zoKd9LHU5js[/youtube:2a0pjf36]
      [youtube:2a0pjf36]S-8qFAh8N8Y[/youtube:2a0pjf36]
      [youtube:2a0pjf36]XtFERAMmCJ8[/youtube:2a0pjf36]
      MyDecozo Admin

Comment

Hi Flooz,

I had exactly the same problem (see my earlier post about box cushion sizing) - in the end I neatened them up by hand as that was the only way I could get the corners to look neat. I think it's probably a lot easier if you don't have any piping and also fabric that isn't too thick (as in the video here).

Good luck!
        Sue

Comment

Thanks for all your replies. I don't have any piping, and the fabric is a medium weight silk dupion. I shall be attacking it again this weekend, having undone all last weekends work, and shall let you know how I get on.
          Chris

Comment

Flooz, Is it a box cushion you are making, or a drop in seat? If a box cushion, if you dont have any piping, stitch the boxing strip to the top piece, right sides together. As you approach the corner, stop stitch and snip the boxing strip to the seam line. Stitch to the snip and with the needle in the fabric, turn the top piece 90 degrees. Turn the boxing strip as well, match raw edges and continue stitching. Afterwards, I would go back and reinforce the corners as there is no piping.
            Hope this helps.
            Kind regards
            Pen Harrison
            Colly Brook Fine Furnishings

Comment

Thanks Pen. It's a box cushion - but .............. the corners aren't 90degrees square, they're very slightly rounded. I'm tackling it at the moment (well, supposed to be, lol), using a mixture of help from the video, and my own experience
              Chris

Comment

If you are applying a boxing strip to the curved edge, then snip the seam allowance of the boxing strip as required.
                Kind regards
                Pen Harrison
                Colly Brook Fine Furnishings

Comment

With regards to the video link posted, I might be talking rubbish,,,but,,,, I'm thinking out loud here ( upholstery isnt my thing !) Is it possible to treat the fabric as you would a fitted bed sheet ??

By which I mean, placing the fabric over the box seat and pinning the corners, trimming back a seam allowance then french seaming so its a perfect fit? Then staple to the hard board back ( in relation to the video link previously posted) Would this work on a non piped drop in box seat???

Comment

Quite possibly Tamb. I made covers for chairs and stuff at college, and for every piece, you place in position, pin and ladder stitch together, then remove and following the lines of the ladder stitch, machine stitch.

I'm trying to recover a chair at the moment, taking a little of what I learnt in making removable covers, and a little of what i've seen as a spectator in upholstery. Not sure what the outcome is going to be at the moment, having only just started, although I am going to redo the little bit i've done already, having realised i'm making it difficult on myself.

Shall post a pic (as long as I'm not going to embarrass myself) when it's done.
                    Chris

Comment

Working...
                    X