Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Adding feathers to cushions

Hello everyone

I have got a client who wants more feathers adding to her sofa seat cushions as they have gone a bit flat. He doesn't want them replacing, just wants them plumping up a bit with additional feathers. I would be grateful if anyone can advise me how I would go about doing this (suppliers and how do I calculate the quantity required) and how much should I charge. Client seems to think I can come and do it on site and that it's easy to do!
    Regards

Andrea

Re: Adding feathers to cushions

Hi Adria whre abouts in lincolnshire are you we are near boston and just up the road at billingborough there is a company called United Fllings they fill settee cushions to the trade think they do john lewis etc they may be able to help you
    Alison

Comment

If it's so easy why doesn't he do it then?????? I would take Sue's LA fabric off the bargepole and put this on instead!

I should say I have no experience of attempting this, but would definitely outsource it! Wrestling with beans for beanbags finishes me off.....
      Louise

sigpic Simply Sewing

Comment

I might consider the job but I definately wouldn't do it on site. Sounds like it could be pretty messy!
        Jane

Comment

It's a horrible job to do. Feathers go everywhere and it's also difficult to get the cushion under the machine to stitch the opening back up (feathers will work their way out if stitched by hand). When we did it, we went outside and did it.

Some suppliers do supply just a bag of feathers, but you might as well just open up a cushion pad and use those. To calculate (I use the word advisedly!) shake the seat cushion until the feathers all go to the bottom, and calculate how may 16" or 18" cushion pads will fit in

It doesn't take long to do, but dont forget if you collect/deliver, for your time for that as well.
          Kind regards
          Pen Harrison
          Colly Brook Fine Furnishings

Comment

Pen's right, that's the way to do it. And do it on site, then she can spend the rest of her life hoovering up feathers.
            I've wrapped sofa cushions in wadding, and added a calico cover, as a rescue package, seems to work quite well, and isn't at all messy.

Comment

Thanks for all your responses. Alison I am up near Mablethorpe, I will look into United Fillings for future reference, however if I decide to do it I will probably go with using 16/18" cushion pads on this occasion.

Many thanks again
              Regards
              Regards

Andrea

Comment

You might be surprised how economical new box cushions are. They really do bring new life back into furniture.

Comment

I agree with Barcoded about new cushions - old feathers get tired, I think! New ones will really set off your beautifully made cover a treat!
                  Kind regards
                  Pen Harrison
                  Colly Brook Fine Furnishings

Comment

Working...
                  X