Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sash tiebacks

Hello

I have to make a pair of sash like tiebacks, they are for a set of curtains with 4 widths in each and 333cm / 130" drop. They need to be the same or similar to the one in the picture below.. Any ideas? Are they as simple as the look?

Philip

[attachment=0:2okqck11]pic.JPG[/attachment:2okqck11]
    Have you registered your business yet?

http://www.ukcurtainmakers.co.uk

A MyDecozo Directory

Re: Sash tiebacks

Yes, they are as simple as they look. Play with a piece of lining until you get the look you like, and make sure the bow can't be undone, they are used with a ring at each end like any tie back, not retied every day. Length is elegance, in the tails, as ever, and the length from the knot to each ring is half the length of normal, or a bit longer. I prefer to measure for tiebacks with a soft tape when the curtains are up, but appreciate this isn't always possible, so use the formula you usually use.

Comment

M&D Encyclopaedia of Curtains p160 might be worth a read - it shows how to make false bows with a guide on bow sizes and fabric required.
      Louise

sigpic Simply Sewing

Comment

Hi Phillip
        Are these any help to you?[attachment=0:2odoebac]sash tieback 2.jpg[/attachment:2odoebac][attachment=1:2odoebac]sash tieback 1.jpg[/attachment:2odoebac]
        Kindest Regards

Penny

Denton Drapes

Comment

Hi Penny

They would work - Mine would need to be large though..

Thank you!

A MyDecozo Directory

Comment

Hi Penny,
            Are those all in one or are the bows made seperate?
            Did you make those, they look really nice, i like that look, works well with the fabric too.
            Sharon

Comment

Hi Sharon
              Unfortunately I cannot claim to have made these. They are in a one of my customer's conservatories, I thought they looked stunning so she very kindly gave me permission to photo them. I always take a camera everywhere I go, you never know when you are going to come across that perfect treatment!
              They are made in 4 separate pieces. The bow is one piece, the tail is another, then the tieback itself, with the loop for the middle of the bow holding everything together.
              Phillip will you post photos of your finished tiebacks please?
              Kindest Regards

Penny

Denton Drapes

Comment

Spooky!

I have just logged on to post a new topic on this very subject!

I have made these before but I had a more 'floppy' look. This time I want to make sure that the bows are quite puffy and bouffant.

Can anyone suggest what to put inside? I was thinking some net (the sort used for tu-tus) and interlining. Any thoughts?

I will look in my bible as has been suggested.

By the way when I made these last time, I simply used two lengths of fabric (about 1 Metre long) folded in half so it looked good from both sides. I also shaped the ends as you would with a ribbon. I tied a bow which was then fastened with a few stitches. To let the curtain down, the other end of the lengths of fabric had rings, so there was no faffing about re-tying the bows etc.

Sue

Comment

In the photos I notice the seams are piped - I wonder if this would add body to the shape and help hold a bow in place (a bit like wired ribbon in floristry)
                  Louise

sigpic Simply Sewing

Comment

Sue,
                    How about using interfacing, and dont make the bows too large so they keep their shape.
                    Kind regards
                    Pen Harrison
                    Colly Brook Fine Furnishings

Comment

Thanks for those suggestions. Think I may use interfacing. I had forgotten about this type of stiffening, as I only ever used it when making clothes. (Which I hated doing and will never do again). I want these to be happy looking bows not sad droopy dog ears (if you know what I mean!).

Sue.

Comment

I may use netting and wire my piping - will discuss with the client.

A MyDecozo Directory

Comment

Working...
                        X