Velcro closings on cushions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Velcro closings on cushions

I have been informed on my course that we have to demonstrate another form of cushion closure other than a zip. It would appear that this has to be Velcro.

Shock, horror - I did not think that this was the industry "gold standard". Does anyone out there use this method as routine?

Rachel

Re: Velcro closings on cushions

Nope. Used it for berth covers on boats as zips would probably rust in no time (salt water etc etc) but wouldn't dream of using it normally. How about buttons? Can't you use them?

Comment

or ties?

Comment

There are other ways as you now may of discovered, but depending on your fabric you could try doing a false overlap with press studs, small eyelets with rope threaded through to form crosses like a corset closer, or as previously mention button holes, a toggle with leather loops,
        Wishing you all the best, I did my city & guilds about 15 years ago and was talking to a friend who I met on the course and even though it was hard at the time we dont regret it, its a skill you can take anywhere In the world and make up items to sell. Enjoy your course and good luck.

Comment

Or the poppers used on babygro and duvet covers? I can't think where I'd use Velcro as the first choice for a cushion closure. Plastic zips don't rust.

Comment

I thought that Velcro was not the standard! I like zips and pretty ties. I have noticed that some children's shoes fasten with Velcro...

Rachel

Comment

Apart from anything else I think velcro would be a nightmare for the amount of fluff it gathers over time....not attractive on a cushion, and perhaps its ability to stick to things you don't want it to if it pulls open......My sons have various trousers with velcro on pocket flaps and I have to make sure they are firmly closed before they go in the washing machine otherwise anything knitted or slightly fluffy sticks to it and gets spoiled when you pull it off!
              Louise

sigpic Simply Sewing

Comment

Velcro straps on shoes have to be the WORST.

I have size 2 feet and sometimes have bought children's shoes out of sheer desperation. The Velcro absolutely destroys my tights and hell will freeze over before I sport bare legs or wear socks! Ugh.

Rachel

Comment

My god, how can you have size 2 feet, Rachel, mine are size 8!
                  Kind regards
                  Pen Harrison
                  Colly Brook Fine Furnishings

Comment

And mine Pen are a size 8 - I think I would fall over if they were a size 2! Rachel you must be petite.

Kathy
                    K W Designs
                    Bournemouth

Comment

Me three, but I'm 5'10", so fair enough. Awful getting pretty shoes, what's fine in a smaller size turns into a boat...

Comment

me four......I'm not that tall, but the more time I spend in slippers and flip flops because I am working from home, the wider my feet get. Dreadful trying to get shoes for weddings etc.....try Gabor. Expensive I know but ..the joy of finding something thats not a boat and you can get your size 8s into a 71/2 .....does not sound nearly as bad.

Sorry, this post seems to have been hijacked by the giants amongst us.!!!!!!!

Enid

Comment

Yup, I have the height and body to go with in - just over 4ft 9in and a scratch over 6 stone. I'm dead fierce though.

Rachel

Comment

Golly, Rachel, could fold you up and put you in a suitcase! I'm 5' 8". How do you manage big curtains?
                            Kind regards
                            Pen Harrison
                            Colly Brook Fine Furnishings

Comment

Never mind Big Curtains how do u manage wee ones ....I too am 5'8 & spend a lot of my days on my tiptoes reaching across my bench
                              Regards
                              Mairi

Comment

Working...
                              X