Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

square seat cushion - is this an upholstery job?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• square seat cushion - is this an upholstery job?

Hi all

An ID has asked me to make square base cushions like this
    Click image for larger version

Name:	jeepers.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	44.5 KB
ID:	117405

Haven't a clue where to start, but i told her it looks more like a job for an upholsterer.
    Anyone ever made this sort of thing?

Thanks

Re: square seat cushion - is this an upholstery job?

I have never made one - but I think it's often called a mattress cushion. I think there are tutorials and videos online. I think you make the cover larger than the filler, then handsew all round the edges to create the border effect, and add all the buttoning.

Not necessarily an upholstery job, but you will find it easier with a proper buttoning needle and strong thread.

I think Penny at Denton Drapes made some once - there may be info on the Denton Drapes blog or Facebook page?
    Louise

sigpic Simply Sewing

Comment

Originally posted by Louise View Post
      I have never made one - but I think it's often called a mattress cushion. I think there are tutorials and videos online. I think you make the cover larger than the filler, then handsew all round the edges to create the border effect, and add all the buttoning.

Not necessarily an upholstery job, but you will find it easier with a proper buttoning needle and strong thread.

I think Penny at Denton Drapes made some once - there may be info on the Denton Drapes blog or Facebook page?
      Thanks Louise.
      Much easier to google now I know what they are called

Comment

Yes, I have made these before. Make up like a normal box cushion and then use a running stitch to create the mattress effect. If you use generous seam allowances, don't bother to trim them, then they sort of 'pad out' the edges. If you hate making box cushions, do not worry. They are quite forgiving on the lining up of the top, botton and boxing strip
        They are not removeable.
        Sue

Comment

I'm just about to price for some of these - what sort of filling would everyone recommend? Could I use an ordinary feather box cushion pad, which M&D supply, as the basis? I've suggested a couple to a customer who would like something soft for a large window seat but still wants to be able to put her wine down next to her ..... Silly me!

Comment

If she want to purt her wine down next to her, wouldn't it be better to make a box cushion with a removable cover?- there's bound to be an accident sooner or later!

Comment

Good thought, Liz .... she's having Les Demoiselles by Harlequin too, so maybe I'll just make a couple of things like kneelers as these will show the pattern better. Why do I overcomplicate things???

Comment

We fill ours with a wool/cotton blended felt from Glover Bros, Jackie ��
                Melanie

Kind regards

The Curtain Room

Comment

Many thanks Mel - knowing me (as you do), you've probably guessed that I'm now wondering what I can use Chinese Horse Hair for ...!

Comment

There is a blog and video here about making these (although it omits the hand stitching so not exactly like the photo at the beginning).
                    https://www.sailrite.com/How-to-Make...-Cushion-Video
                    Louise

sigpic Simply Sewing

Comment

Originally posted by Louise View Post
                      There is a blog and video here about making these (although it omits the hand stitching so not exactly like the photo at the beginning).
                      https://www.sailrite.com/How-to-Make...-Cushion-Video
                      Rather nifty tip in that video. They wrap cushion pad in "silkfilm" which looks like cling film, suck the air out using a vacuum hose and put the squashed up pad inside the cover.Remove vacuum hose and the pad expands

Comment

Working...
                      X