Mahogany poles

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mahogany poles

A customer wants to replace some scratched 45mm diameter mahogany poles with a gloss finish (not waxed). They do not need finials, brackets or rings.

I can't seem to find any - does anyone know where I might find some?
    Louise

sigpic Simply Sewing

Re: Mahogany poles

I've found three companies that will paint poles in any finish, but they dont seem to do 45mm poles.
    Regards
    Pen
    Kind regards
    Pen Harrison
    Colly Brook Fine Furnishings

Comment

Hi Louise,

Speaking as a serial skin flint, can the poles not be re-varnished?

I once did a job in a pub, I had to replace some cafe style curtains which were originaly hung from filthy dirty large brass rings, the new curtains were slotted onto the poles. When finished I went to dump the old curtains and rings in the pub bin, the manager collard me and said that was for pub waste only and I had to get rid of the curtains down the tip, so rather than make a song and dance of it I chucked them in the back of my van, the drive home stunk of stale tobacco

As I drove home I realised there were about 100 brass rings worth a pound each so on the way I bought a couple of litres of cheap cocacola from Tesco, put the rings in a couple of buckets with the cola left for several hours and hey presto good as new

The best bit is a month or so later I got an order to supply the same pub chain with some large brass rings
      Regards Dave and Sue

Comment

Well, I tried my best to suggest the current poles were simply given a quick varnish......but to no avail. Customer seemed OK with the idea but Mr Customer wants new (they look expensive.........) I suppose I could see if someone local would be willing to re-varnish but feel it's outside my remit.... They are mounted on heavy brass brackets with large brass ball finials and had ornate silk swags stapled to them. There are 5 and all different lengths so it just gets more and more fiddly to sort out!
        Louise

sigpic Simply Sewing

Comment

Have you tried Edward Harpley?
          Regards Dave and Sue

Comment

Not heard of them - off to Google now.......

Oh - they have some nice things.....!
            Louise

sigpic Simply Sewing

Comment

Are they definatly 45 and not 50 mm? HunterHyland do them but think they are 50cm
              Janie

Comment

Yes, I measured pretty carefully - 45mm diameter......
                Louise

sigpic Simply Sewing

Comment

Bingo Louise! Since pm'ng you I put '45mm wooden poles' into google and quite a few came up
                  Janie

Comment

Can you buy them without all the fittings etc. though? They just need the pole pieces......and five of them all slightly different lengths! I would love to hear if you track any down....
                    Louise

sigpic Simply Sewing

Comment

Ah - Curtain Corner might have what I want if I trim some of them.....the dark walnut might be OK Royal.
                      Louise

sigpic Simply Sewing

Comment

Working...
                      X