Portiere Rod Help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Portiere Rod Help

Hi wonder if any one can help. I am looking for a portiere rod like the one in picture M&D Enc. page 22. The only ones I have seen are from Hallis Hudson and they advise Light weight curtains!! I need one that will hold a width and half interlined curtain.
    Thanks
    Sophie

Re: Portiere Rod Help

Hi Sophie,
    Have you tried Hunter & Hyland? You didn't say where the curtain was being fitted, but if it's a door they do the proper rising door rods - http://www.hunterandhyland.co.uk/dormer.php?cat=RDRA. I would have thought that if someone like H&H don't do anything robust enough, it will be difficult to do. I've done very small curtains in a cottage and got the portiere rods made by a local blacksmith, but they were only very light, double sided cotton ones with a very small drop. Perhaps you could estimate weight and ask someone at H&H if any of their hardware will operate properly with that loading. Hope this helps, but suspect it won't! Good luck!
    Jackie

Comment

M&D sell rise & fall portiere rods, as do Price & Co page 296.

Philip
      Have you registered your business yet?

http://www.ukcurtainmakers.co.uk

A MyDecozo Directory

Comment

The Blacksmith collection do a drapery arm/portier rod in either wrought Iron :
        http://www.blacksmithcollection.com/drapery-arms, available in 16mm or 20mm in diameter, or stainless steel: http://www.blacksmithcollection.com/...tainless-steel available in 19mm or 25mm diameter.

I am about to use a 25mm diameter, stainless steel one for my own double sided, interlined curtain. It is only 87cm long and Daryl (the blacksmith) has said that this will take the weight. If there are any problems or you need a longer pole, then he can make a door bracket to support the end.

Daryl is extreamly helpful so give him a call and he can discuss with you what you will need. He is also doing wooden poles now using five different solid woods, with either wrought Iron or stainless steel fittings. Although a drapery arm is not listed with the wooden poles he may be able to make one for you. An example of a wooden pole with stainles steel fittings is here: http://www.blacksmithcollection.com/...eel-and-sapele

The service he provides is part bespoke so he may be able to meet your needs, and he is not too pricey either. There is a retail price list on his web site and he does give discount to the trade.

Comment

Hi Sophie,
          John Lewis do very nice ones but they are quite expensive.
          regards Helen

Comment

Thank you all very much. Will now sit down and sort one out.

Sophie

Comment

Hi I have now put thinking head on and I have another question for you. As you can see from the window I need to take my curtain right up to the top of the recess to stop any draughts from the 3cm gap at the top of the door. With this in mind I cant afford the rise that the portiere rods create so what would you all suggest?

Comment

Do all portiere rods rise? Could you do something on a rod with a stand up frill or heading that almost brushes the top of the recess? I have looked at the details of Cameron Fuller portiere rods and they don't look like they rise when they open.

If draft is a real problem, could you fit the portiere rod above the recess and swing the curtain open on the hinge if you needed to open the door when the curtain was closed?
                Louise

sigpic Simply Sewing

Comment

Portiere rods are designed so that the door can be opened from the outside if the curtain is closed - the curtain lifts up allowing the door to open.

If you don't need that feature, can you put a curved track round to the left hand wall? Otherwise there is no real reason why the curtain cannot stack back onto the right hand side.
                  Kind regards
                  Pen Harrison
                  Colly Brook Fine Furnishings

Comment

Thank you both I will go back to client and check the usage of the door.

Sophie

Comment

We have found this portiere track with a bracket to allow for the doorway recess. Has anyone used one?

[attachment=0:153qqoak]portiere-recess.jpg[/attachment:153qqoak]
                      Louise

sigpic Simply Sewing

Comment

I've never actually used one, Louise, but we sell lots of them - they are popular. And I know that the cold weather is just around the corner, because sales have just picked up!
                        Kind regards
                        Pen Harrison
                        Colly Brook Fine Furnishings

Comment

Hi just thought I would put photo of completed curtain, the pole I used was from Cameron Fuller but would not like to use it any longer than 1m for interlined curtains even though they say 1.5m. As you can see from the photo the curtain slopes down with the weight. Going to have to find a bracket to hook onto or get another one. Aaargh

[attachment=0:29zjil28]DSC00024.JPG[/attachment:29zjil28]

Comment

Lovely Sophie!

Re: sinking rod... could you adjust the position of the pin hooks so it looks level from the front even though the pole sags? Create a bit of an optical illusion???

Comment

Lovely curtain.....and contrast edge.

re. holding up the weight of the curtain, might this help portieres and brackets
                              Last edited by Louise; 7 June 2011, 19:24. Reason: updating url
                              Louise

sigpic Simply Sewing

Comment

Working...
                              X