Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pole With OverLap,

Hello everyone

This maybe a daft question, but can you buy poles with overlap arms, I always thought they were only available on tracks. I have a client who I am making 2 pairs of interlined curtains for, due for delivery in a weeks time who has rang today and wants to change her existing pole to one with an overlap arm. I would be grateful if anyone could tell where I might be able to purchase one from.

Regards
    Andrea
    Regards

Andrea

Re: Pole With OverLap

You can get poles with track set in to them where there are overlap arms like this http://nine-design.co.uk/polesweb/index.html or other corded poles like this where they are made to look as if they have rings http://www.tracksandpoles.com/pole_s...brass_25.shtml. Silent Gliss Metropole systems look like poles but have inset gliders - I am not sure if they have overlap arms though. Metropole

Is she concerned the curtains will have a gap between them when closed? If they are a buckram heading then you can make sure the leading edge spaces are wide enough to overlap when the curtains are closed without buying a special pole.
    Louise

sigpic Simply Sewing

Comment

Re: Pole With OverLap,

Hi Louise

Thanks for your reply and suggestions. The client is concerned about the gap when the curtains are closed, and while I always allow for a overlap when making curtains with buckram heading, it hadn't crossed my mind to offer this option while talking to the client about the overlap. I will be getting back to her and let her know the difference in cost and then she can decide.

Regards
      Andrea
      Regards

Andrea

Comment

Re: Pole With OverLap

Have just found this site Tracks&Poles who sell an overlap arm that can be added to a standard pole to create an overlap.

"Overlap arm that can be added to the last 2 rings at the leading edge of the right hand curtain to allow the curtain to overlap in the centre by approximately 50mm. Fits most sizes of standard wood ring."
        Louise

sigpic Simply Sewing

Comment

I step in here with some trepidation, having only just completed my first ever pair of curtains.

I am using a conventional brass pole with brass rings for the curtain. I have made a french pleat heading by hand using a very stiff buckram. The leading edge of each curtain starts with a flat of some four inches followed by a pleat. I have positioned the first hook not at the leading edge but at the pleat. When the curtains are drawn together they naturally overlap by around four inches giving a pleasing uniform appearance to the whole window. Overlap has therefore been achieved without having to resort to any special hardware.

Unfortunately none of this will be visible as the heading will be obscured by my swags, but I was rather pleased with this result.

Comment

Nigel,

That's also how I position my first pin - on to the first pleat and my curtains always overlap and look lovely.
            Ursula.

Comment

This works with pin hook headings, as long as the curtains are not too heavy. With heavy/interlined fabrics you may find you need to add another pin hook nearer the leading edge to stop it dropping (but still leave enough space for a small overlap).

With taped headings like pencil pleat you need a hook at/near the leading edge so an overlap arm is more important.
              Louise

sigpic Simply Sewing

Comment

Excellent find Louise! Duly bookmarked!

Comment

The corded Metropole 6120 is made up to include an overlap arm. The part number is 6063. The hand drawn poles do not need it.
                  Karen Rhodes
                  Karen Rhodes Design
                  Pole Design

Comment

Working...
                  X