Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tension wires

Hi All

I have no experience of tension wires but have a customer with a room 6.6m long, one side of which is entirely windows. I suggested tracked poles or a metropole but this is rather more money than she wanted to spend. Would it be possible to get that span with a tension wire having just one central support? I haven't checked out the weight of the fabric she is thinking of for the curtains but it is Colefax and Fowler Perseus and, being viscose/linen, is possibly going to be quite weighty. Does anyone know where I can source tension wires and possibly talk through with the supplier? My fitter has fitted them before but does't know where they came from...

Thanks
    Annie

Re: Tension wires

I think any decent system capable of supporting medium/heavy curtains is not going to be cheap.
    Tracksandpoles have tension systems but I haven't used them.

Would she consider a discrete ceiling fix track or something like Cameron Fuller System 30?
    Louise

sigpic Simply Sewing

Comment

I have used them in the past but only for lightweight fabric/voiles.
      I agree with Louise that to cover that span with anything have a bit of weight is going to have to be very well fixed as it would need a fair amount of tension to avoid any sag.
      John Quine
      Brooke Design
      Fylde Coast

Comment

Thanks everyone for your input.

I had a look at Tracksandpoles. There is probably a reason their max length is 5m. I will contact them but think that the curtains are probably going to be too heavy.

Thanks again
        Annie,

Comment

I think a track will be the least pricey option for 6m of curtains......perhaps the Evans DS which can be ceiling fixed and is pretty shallow.
          Louise

sigpic Simply Sewing

Comment

For future reference - Hunter Hyland have a choice of tensioned wire systems, but clearly stated as for lightweight curtains.
            Louise

sigpic Simply Sewing

Comment

Hi Annie,
              Thinking completely out of the box, have you considered the wire people use on patio balastrades ? Or what gardeners use for training fruit trees to grow up . The only reason I mention this is I had a job a while ago that required tension wire, not the length you have and ended up with wire used for model airplane displays. Number one the wire is strong but more importantly they have hook and eye turnbuckles, this allows you to tighten the wire once in place . It took me ages to find and you really need to check the sizes I ended up on one site that was for building bridges! The model airoplane one was diddly and suited my needs but I fancy you will require something more substantial . S3i group do all sorts, you might have to be inventive on hiding the turnbuckles but that shouldn't be too much of a problem.
              Good luck and happy hunting -
              Jane

Comment

Thank you Jane, a brilliant solution!

After customer went off the idea for a bit, we eventually got a garden trellis kit from S3i with an extra central support which was fitted last week and she is very happy. It is only supporting voile curtains, so not too much weight, and doesn't appear to be sagging at all (yet!) It took the fitter quite a time to fix, but looking good. I got the hook rings from Hunter and Hyland but, sadly, they are only available in 50s.... I don't suppose anyone has 4 of 72035 lurking in the back of their cupboard? I don't really want another 50....

Thanks again everyone.
                Annie

Comment

Working...
                X