Fabric covered laths.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fabric covered laths.

Morning Everyone, my god what a cold one it is today!!!
    I have two seperate customers who have both requested fabric covered laths.
    I have never had the opportunity to do this before, have any of had experience of this kind of track.
    Any points to watch out for would be appreciated.
    Kindest Regards

Penny

Denton Drapes

Re: Fabric covered laths.

I've not done these either, but have often wondered about the best way to do them if I'm asked - tracks shouldn't been seen!
    Kind regards
    Pen Harrison
    Colly Brook Fine Furnishings

Comment

Penny you may find the link Tam used to explain fabric covered laths in a earlier post of interest - See here for more pictures. Pelmet board is covered in the same fabric as the curtains or a contrast, track attached and a second length of wood covered in fabric attached to the face of the wood to cover the track.

Instructions for doing this are featured in the M&D Encyclopedia of Curtains, page 114 & 227
      Attached Files
      Have you registered your business yet?

http://www.ukcurtainmakers.co.uk

A MyDecozo Directory

Comment

I use them alot but have to confess I leave them to my fitter to upholster as theres just not enough hours in my day to make them up too. I have just finished some handprinted silk fabric covered lathes which look fab.(Same customer that was very particular how far the curtains stacked back)

You need 12" or 30cm strips of fabric pattern matched along the width if necessary to cover an average board.So hope that helps in calculating fabric quantity

A good track fitter is worth his weight in gold when it comes to fitting lathes and tracks to a bay window. Mine makes them up in situ ( very clever man !)

Comment

Thanks Phillip and Tam
          Excellent illustration of how to do them! I have two bay windows coming up so these pictures are exactly what i need.

Cheers!!
          Kindest Regards

Penny

Denton Drapes

Comment

To those who have experience of covered laths, hopefully this isn't a daft question so here goes......is any reason why you can't fix the track towards the back of the pelmet rather than at the front so the curtains could be hung behind the covered lath? It would mean the tops of the curtains could be covered a bit but it would enable the spaces between the pleats wouldn't have to come forward?

My customer with the linen viscose mix has just called & is thinking she'd like these instead of poles. I'd just like her to stop changing her mind!!!
            (think I've managed to cut the drops pretty straight but had to resort to pulling a thread across the width as you do with voiles to do it )
            Jane

Comment

Sounds sensible, but on reflection it would mean that you would probably see the track as you looked upwards - which would defeat the object of the exercise. Hope this makes sense ....

Comment

This is an example of tape headed curtains hanging from below a covered track, ignore the shaped bit at the top

I have hung pinch pleats below a covered track before now when they were made to short and they looked fine and you get better stack back.[attachment=0:365wjdgy]180.jpg[/attachment:365wjdgy]
                Regards Dave and Sue

Comment

Advice on covered laths, please! I've done these before and covered the lath at the front and the pelmet board in one piece of fabric ... but am just about to start a job where I would like to cover the lath separately and attach it with velcro to the front of the pelmet board. Is there any reason anyone can think of why this wouldn't be a good idea?

The reason I want to do it this way is to minimise the time spent on site by my fitter - the windows are splayed (angling inwards towards the glass), I'm top fitting and want to cut the angle on site. The boards can be made up almost entirely beforehand, except for finishing the ends off, and then the covered lath attached afterwards, when I go back to fit the curtains. Thought that this would be the most efficient way of getting an accurate fit without spending hours on site. It's an expensive job and I want to get it absolutely right, so any reason why this is a bad idea?

Many thanks in advance to all you experienced people!! (Isn't it lovely when you don't have to fret about something silly like this in isolation!)

Comment

Cant see any reason why not. Pelmets can be suspended with Velcro, and a lath is a lot lighter. As long as the curtains dont catch the lath and knock it off when they are drawn, but even that is unlikely.
                    Kind regards
                    Pen Harrison
                    Colly Brook Fine Furnishings

Comment

I've never done anything like this, but definitely like tracks hidden. Looking at the pictures, would I be right in thinking that the fabrication of them isn't dissimilar to a very shallow pelmet type-of-thing? But with the track attached to the board as opposed to any wall?
                      Chris

Comment

I have to make one of these for a bay I imagine (looking at the links on here) that I will make and cover the shelf in sections with the lathe attached afterwards in one run?
                        Can someone also pm me with an idea of how much to charge??

Comment

Working...
                        X