Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Triple Pleat Curtains

Help
    Have a pair of curtains to make for the iminent birth of my first niece/nephew, so very excited. Have been making soft furnishings for years, mostly self taught, but did work for a proper local curtain maker for 20 months, so learned loads, but the lady always cut everything herself and pinned things so you never knew how things were worked out!?!???! Very annoying almost like she thought I would poach her company, oh well never mind.

Anyway never mind, have joined up and pair of 1 1/2 width curtains in a nice gingham and sister in law said she might like french/pinch pleat tops which isn't a problem. Have looked at all my books, even asked a friend who runs a company too but still very unclear on workings out.

My friend Sue has suggested 10cm for returns and then work out spaces always having pleats and spaces etc, not sure if you should have one more of the other ......................... see am very confused, they are sitting on my cutting out table just waiting to be finished and I want to get them done, got itchy feet, got their whole house to do, maybe even 3 width pinch pleat curtains for the lounge also, so would love an easy to follow method/theory I will understand.

Would really appreciate any help I can get, look forward to replies!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Re: Triple Pleat Curtains

Hello Smiley

Welcome to the forum and I hope you're not getting too stressed with these calculations.. What is the width of the track the curtains are to fit? and what is the finished width of the fabric you're working on?

Philip
    Have you registered your business yet?

http://www.ukcurtainmakers.co.uk

A MyDecozo Directory

Comment

Oh my god canot believe how prompt you are, have been sitting here just wishing I could understand what it is that I am doing wrong, as said made hundreds of these curtains before but never knew what they were calculated at.

So here goes................................

Curtain pole is 60'' (sorry old fashioned, still working in the old style, hope not a problem???)

Finished curtain that is made up and ready to be pinched!!! is ...................... 74 1/2 inches

I have tried the tested method given on many sites but it is coming up that the width is 36'' all the time, I know I have to have some for give and then returns etc but thought 6'' was a little drastic.

I also know that you should have the returns/overlaps at each end rather than a pleat, is this correct, personally think this looks better.

You will be a life saver if you can help as I want to get these curtains hung this week sometime so that the nursery can come together!!!

yours in desperation
      smiley

Comment

Hello Smiley

Welcome to the forum.. I hope you're not too stressed out over the calculations.. If you measure the track the curtains are to fit first, then minus this figure from the curtain fabric - This will give you the amount required for the spaces in between the pleats. The fabric required for the returns will be dictated by the space from the curtain track/pole to the wall. see Returns

Assuming you're going to have an odd number of spaces and an even amount of pleats; divide the space required by 5, this will give you a possible space size.

Your fabric has been finished to 189cm and your track measures 153cm

I have allowed for 8cm returns on each end... And I've rounded up to a comfortable measurement: PER CURTAIN...

5 Spaces: each measuring 16cm ... = 80cm

6 Pleats: each measuring 15.5cm ... = 93cm

Two returns per curtain: each measuring 8cm ... =16

Total fabric required: 189cm

Your calculations will look something like this:

R P S P S P S P S P S P R

I have allowed plenty of springback, you can adjust if you wish by adding 1/2cm to each pleat.

If you find the middle of each curtain and put in the center space you can then work out from there toward the end. I would always recommend that you calculate the spacing and pleats before buying your fabrics.. Lay you curtain out, pin in the measurements above and use them if you're happy.

I have converted your inches to cm.. I get confused with inches..

Hope this helps, Smiley!

Philip

A MyDecozo Directory

Comment

People are often of the mindset that a pleat and a space must be 6" (15cm) each - this is not the case, pleats and spaces are often dictated by the horizontal patten of the fabric and should be sized according to the fabric design. The thickness of some fabrics are often a consideration and can mean much more fabric is required for the pleats due to the bulk created by fabrics such as chenille, velvets and interlining.

Always calculate your space and pleat requirements before cutting your fabric - If pleating to pattern be prepared to waste fabric too!

A MyDecozo Directory

Comment

Hi Smiley and welcome to the site.

Pinch pleats are the very devil, you think that you have them in your head and oops out it goes. Spent four hours on Friday with a pesky set, and then discovered that I had made the same mistake in the maths over and over and over again. Threw them in the corner, picked them up on Sat morning and had them done in a flash.........YOU ARE NOT ALONE !!

As Schubby says however, ther are some funny ones out there and you need to be able to have the confidence to bend the rules sometimes.

No doubt you will have some more questions , so feel free.

Enid

Comment

Hi Everyone
              Just to say thankyou all for your patience, going to try and pin up the curtain today and see what it looks like and then steam on ahead hopefully.

will let you know and send some piccies when they are up!!!!

regards
              smiley

Comment

Hi Everyone
                me again for some more advice.

Have another pair of pinch pleat curtains to do and want to start right from the beginning. They are for a very small nursery window with a thin pole. On the left hand side is minimal space due to cupboard opening and the other side is free to the wall. So pole is 50'' and client want pinch pleats??? Now I usually go on 2 1/2 times the pole for pinch pleats and wondered what everyone else's ideas or experience was on this???

i look forward to your comments
                smiley

Comment

Working...
                X