Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RIP-OFF CURTAINS!

No, not the JL or LA type!

I am putting together a proposal for a home where the residents have behavioural difficultes. This manifests itself in lots of ways, but one frequent problem, is that the curtains are pulled down. Cords stretch, rings and hooks snap and fabric and lining can be ripped etc. etc. I have done some 'half and half' curtains for a third party before, where there is a Velcro strip about a third of the way down which is designed to come-away if pulled. Now this client is happy to have these, but I wondered if there were any other methods anyone else has used in the past. Other ideas I trialled were popper tape, (but the spaces were too big and the fabric sagged in between the poppers).

Because I made all the previous ones for a third party, I don't know how successful these were, and I can't contact them to ask, because I am guessing I will be bidding against them on this occasion!

Also, I have the fabrics chosen, all FR including lining, and intend to use FR tape. I need a really strong preferably woven pocket 3" tape, any ideas where I can get this from. Is there such a thing as FR Velcro? have not seen it in any of my suppliers catalogues.

Thanks,
    Sue.

Re: RIP-OFF CURTAINS!

Sue,

What a challenge! Whilst I can't help you with the FR Velcro, I just have a quick question. Won't curtains that can be 'pulled apart' just attract people to 'pull them down' for fun?

Jx.

Comment

In the back nof my teeny tiny grey matter I somehow recal being told of a track or pole with rings or even hooks that automatically quick released when the curtain was pulled. These were used in certain etablishment such as metal health establishments for the reason you have given Sue. I cant recall who makes them but it might be worth a call to silent gliss. This will save the hassle of messing around with the curtains.

If anyone knows of these things Silent gliss or Integra should!

Good luck hun, I hope you win your tender!

Comment

Found this info on a US site for hospital cubicle curtains - but I wondered whether there might be a UK equivalent...

[urlnew:3vc5l5kn]http://www.cubiclecurtainfactory.com/images/Cubicle%20Curtain%20Simply%2066%20brochure.pdf[/urlnew:3vc5l5kn]

Also something I saw a while ago........an eyelet effect but with a release mechanism. Not sure if it would pull off easily enough though as it is not designed to do so. [urlnew:3vc5l5kn]http://www.sewdirect.com/acatalog/Introducing_the_Hookless_system.html[/urlnew:3vc5l5kn]
        Louise

sigpic Simply Sewing

Comment

When I comissioned supported living, the point was that it were to be as domestic and normal as possible.

Velcro tab tops worked very well.

The earlier point that it was fun to pull down the curtains is valid. Also annoying if they come down when being drawn. Very sturdy rail with fittings every couple of inches makes it hard but not impossible to pull down, making the line of least resistance being the velcro and not the rail/pole.

Rather than have the join half way down the curtain, can it be linked into the heading somehow. Possibly pleated with velcro link to false heading attached to the track?

What ever you do make it look good, there is so much work in the market if you can get something to work. There are many many establishments that would benefit from good window dressings.

Good luck and keep us informed!

Comment

I like the idea of velcro tab tops....sounds a good solution combined with extra brackets on the pole to keep it in place. I know the cubicle curtain heading is not attractive for a home environment, but I was thinking more of the idea of the press studs to attach the panels to the heading as they presumably are the right spacing to stop the fabric drooping unlike with the popper tape already tried.

Sue - do you have an eyelet press that could use a die to set small metal poppers? Then you could set them at the right spacing to prevent drooping, or set them on tabs for a popper tab top perhaps?

Or could you make a shallow flat heading from fabric with ordinary hooks etc. to hang from the track/pole and then stitch hook velcro to it. Then make the 'curtain' with velcro friendly pencil tape and press together to hang the curtain.
            Louise

sigpic Simply Sewing

Comment

Thanks all for your input. FYI I have spoken to Silent Gliss - their track system 6290 Safety Track has gliders that pop out of the track when a certain weight is applied to it. It is only available from their contracts division, hence it is not in the Price and Co. etc. catalogues.

I had completely overlooked tabs with Velcro. That is a good idea, they have an extremely substantial and old wooden curtain pole up at the moment, which I thought would be a shame to lose. However the ceiling is over 3M high so don't think they would be able to open and close them very easily.

Dilemmas I have spent many hours thinking about this one!

Sue.

Comment

Suel

You can buy plastic tab top gliders to help with the smooth op of tab tops - The hang over the pole so could be sewn onto the tab and they will come away from the pole with the curtains if pulled.

Philip
                Have you registered your business yet?

http://www.ukcurtainmakers.co.uk

A MyDecozo Directory

Comment

Sorry if I'm repeating anything that has already been said but there is a special 3" pencil tape that behaves like the soft side of velcro enabling it to be attached to hook velcro. You can also buy a spray that can be used to FR the tape.

BEV
                  Bev

The Window Dresser

Comment

I'm not sure if you have already solved your problem or not, but I had to retrofit curtains for a hospital mental health unit with this same request. These were FR pinch pleated draperies, which I sewed velcro to at the heading (in the spaces). They had ceiling mount metal tracks, and I used what are called "camper tabs" that are used in mobile homes or big campers people take on vacation. I sewed a strip of velcro to each plastic tab, and then used a little silicone spray inside the rod so that the tabs would move freely inside the track. Then if someone pulls the curtain, in comes "un-velcroed" and the tabs remain in the track, so they are easy to reinstall. Hope this helps someone in the future!

Liz

Comment

Hi,

Thanks for all your input. Just thought I'd update you. The home that I made these for were thrilled with them and I have just returned from measuring up for a further 4 pairs. I used the rip-off method. They have been subjected to a number of attempts to pull them down, the Velcro gave way as hoped without the pole/fittings etc. coming down. The curtains are still looking pretty much as good as new save for a few dirty finger prints.

Will also be exploring the special track available from Silent Gliss too.

Thanks for listening.

Sue.

Comment

Hi Sue
                        I used the Silent Gliss 6290 Safety track for some voile curtains in a school for autistic children.
                        It has gliders that snap out of the track when a certain pressure is applied. It seems to work well
                        The only problem I had was that wholesalers will only sell it in the packs Silent Gliss supply so I have got nearly 900 of the snap off gliders in stock.
                        I got the track itself from Hunter & Hyland
                        Regards
                        Clark

Comment

Hi Clark,

Thats interesting to know, that you have used that track. Does it work successfully? I have spoken to the distributors for Silent Gliss who sell this, but I have since found out that Streets do it too, so hopefully will not be restricted to bulk buying.

I'll let you know if their prices/carton sizes are more reasonable.

Sue.

Comment

Originally posted by clarkgriswald View Post
                            Hi Sue
                            I used the Silent Gliss 6290 Safety track for some voile curtains in a school for autistic children.
                            It has gliders that snap out of the track when a certain pressure is applied. It seems to work well
                            The only problem I had was that wholesalers will only sell it in the packs Silent Gliss supply so I have got nearly 900 of the snap off gliders in stock.
                            I got the track itself from Hunter & Hyland
                            Regards
                            Clark
                            I've been asked to quote for a large project of a residential autistic school in the locality - wonder if either clarkgriswald or suel can help me?

I'm wondering what heading to put on the curtains: if you use the Silent Gliss 6290 Safety Track - could you just do a normal heading? FR'd of course etc.

Or Suel do you have a picture or a diagram of what you did please?
                            Yvonne

Comment

Hi Yvonne
                              I used a 3" from tape on the curtains
                              It is a while since I used this track and haven't been back to see how it has worked long term.
                              Try searching anti ligature track to see if there is something better to use.
                              With the silent glass track a good supply of spare gliders is probably necessary
                              Best wishes
                              Clark

Comment

Working...
                              X