Grampol swag

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Grampol swag

I am thinking of recommending a grampol swag to a client who wants an asymmetric top treatment over a roman blind. It is basically a shaped panel with a flat heading and stringing to one side to draw up in a swag effect.

Does anyone have any thoughts if a window 192cm is too wide ?

[attachment=0:25xe4m2b]grampol.jpg[/attachment:25xe4m2b]
    Louise

sigpic Simply Sewing

Re: Grampol swag

Hi Louise not to sure about that one, thinking about it if you did it on that wide a window you would either loose a lot of light or have to pull it quite high up and maybe loose the effect..........

Irene

Comment

I do think it's a lovely window treatment but would have my reservations over the width, unless the window is tall too. Have you thought of mocking it up in lining to see if its proportions are pleasing to your eye Louise? . . . you probably have, lol.

Comment

Hi Louise

Have you considered the Moreland valance?

[attachment=0:33uopkpm]Moreland.jpg[/attachment:33uopkpm]

Philip
        Have you registered your business yet?

http://www.ukcurtainmakers.co.uk

A MyDecozo Directory

Comment

I think I will suggest that instead. Got one of those customers who wants suggestions for 2 windows in her bedroom, different widths and slightly different drops......from romans to curtains with pretty much anything else up for consideration too!

Still I may have a chance to make Q Anne valances in her sitting room - 5 windows in all.
          Louise

sigpic Simply Sewing

Comment

I came across Maureen Whitemore's instructions for making a grampol swag and wondered if it might suit a smallish window in my study. It's been on my to do list for a while now, but somehow it's just never got done, partly because I've been swithering about the treatment! The window wall is papered in Timney Fowler's clock paper & I've already made a roman for the internal window in the room in matching fabric.

I've got enough fabric left over to make a single width treatment but not enough for anything requiring more than that. The window's 110cm long x 58cm wide, the drop from the top of the existing batten to the floor is 212cm. Maureen's book doesn't really talk about proportions so peoples' views would be really helpful!
            Attached Files
            CatherineL
            Catherine Lepreux Interiors

Comment

I've just made a pair of grampol swags for a display area in a gallery - things to consider are they are decorative and not meant to be 'closed' and that they cover a fair amount of the top of the wall/window so will reduce the amount of light coming through the window. If you are happy about those two points then I think they would be an attractive way to dress this window.
              Louise

sigpic Simply Sewing

Comment

A static treatment is what I had in mind so that's good.

What about the length of the tail? Could it be taken down to the floor (and perhaps even puddled) or are they proportioned like a normal tail? MW's not v clear on this point!
                CatherineL

Comment

Originally posted by CatherineL View Post
                  A static treatment is what I had in mind so that's good.

What about the length of the tail? Could it be taken down to the floor (and perhaps even puddled) or are they proportioned like a normal tail? MW's not v clear on this point!
                  Personally I wouldn't puddle it as I think it would spoil the effect of the shaped hem. It could be as long as you like I think.

The long edge on the ones I made was 250cm and the shorter side 205cm. This made a swag depth of around 80cm when the cord was drawn up (the swag was 1 fabric width wide).

I did a trial run with a chain as the book suggested, then I cut the total drop of 250cm and played with where the rings would go using safety pins to finalise how much to shorten the other edge, and how deep the swag would be.

Click image for larger version

Name:	swag4.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	52.1 KB
ID:	114644

This picture shows the fabric drop with the swag drawn up before I cut the shaped hem and starting sewing the contrast lining in place. There is a tape measure in the middle of the swag to make sure the final swag depth was 80cm.
                  Louise

sigpic Simply Sewing

Comment

Thank you! I'll play around with the proportions as you suggest and post some pics when the swag is finished.
                    CatherineL

Comment

I'm just playing around with ideas for a customer, and wondered if I could get hold of some more information on how to make a Grampol swag? Which is the book by Maureen Whitemore? Thanks all!

Comment

Its in her "Home Furnishings Workbook".
                        Louise

sigpic Simply Sewing

Comment

Thanks Louise - I knew you'd know!

Comment

Working...
                          X