Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Puff Ball Heading

Hi
    I think they call it a puff ball heading when u leave some fabric at the top and set the tape down a bit,
    then once gathered u puff it up !! if that makes any sense
    do i add any filling to this to give it some body? and what is a good amount of extra fabric to leave at the top
    many thanks in advance
    lss

Re: Puff Ball Heading

If you have M&D Encyclopaedia of Curtains this is described on p102 as a fixed heading, p135 on a pole created with heading tape.

They suggest a frill of 5 - 7.5cm above the tape, which is 2.5cm deep. They enclose 2 layers of net (like you'd use for a tutu) in the top fold to give the 'puff' body.

Louise

sigpic Simply Sewing

Comment

In the Merrick and Day book it suggests using net (the kind you make balerinas' tutus from) to puff up the heading. Heather Luke uses interlining. Having used both I'd stick with the interlining next time. I think I bought inferior net and it didn't crisp up as I'd wished. Lots of stab stitches were needed to keep the ruffles but I didn't have a prob with the interlining.

M & D suggest the puffed heading to be between 6" and 8".

Comment

Hi Iss
        I took this photo of a puff ball headed curtain think they look great in the right place.

[attachment=0:1g2ne315]sophie.jpg[/attachment:1g2ne315]

Comment

Hi
          you are all such a great help
          many thanks for the replys now i need a photo to show u all when done
          it will be new year though i think now
          lss

Comment

What a wonderfully dramatic heading Sophie! Attached puffed valance with tassels to boot! Where did you see that? I think I'll have to borrow that picture for future reference.

I'm sure you'll do a good job lss. AND I'll be reminding you of your promise of a photo in the new year!

Comment

Hi Jules
              yes i've promised now so need to make a note to self lol
              the merrick and day seems to be a good reference book may need to get one
              regards
              lss

Comment

I think you do! Though I know Philip doesn't rate it much, I have to say I also find the Maureen Whitemore book invaluable. Sometimes I can get lost in the words of the M & D book and Maureen explains with more pictures - suited to my slower brain, lol. But you do need the M & D encyclopaedia.

Why not pop it on your Christmas List?

Comment

Hi Jules I saw that curtain in a toilet in a pub!!!!!! Glad no one came in when I was taking the photo.

Comment

You obviously frequent posher pubs than me Sophie! Really very grand!

Comment

Working...
                    X