Spiral Staircase Advice Please !!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spiral Staircase Advice Please !!

Hi, I've been asked to visit a client who wants me to have a look at a spiral staircase with a view to draping fabric around it in some way to disguise the open treads. Apparently, this client was expecting the builders to face off the underneath of the stairs in a curved shape but he has now been told that this will not now be possible. I seem to remember reading on another post about someone doing something with fabric ? Any thoughts ? Sorry I don't have any pics. yet but will post some later in the week. At the moment, I am trying to think of various ideas that I can suggest before going along to see client.

Hope this makes sense, it's always difficult when you can't see it visually.

Cat C.
    Kind regards

Cat

Re: Spiral Staircase Advice Please !!

hi cat,

would he want it covered tread by tread, or does he still want that sweeping effect. tread by tread would probably be simple, similar to pelmet style.

look forward to hearing ur thoughts

sukhi
    Sukhi
    Butterfly Interiors
    Sue Rhodes Interiors

Comment

Thank you for your reply Sukhi, I think his initial thought is to have a sweeping curved effect. However, he said he looks forward to hearing my ideas. At the moment I'm clueless.

Cat C.
      Kind regards

Cat

Comment

Does he want a smooth finish look? I don't think this would be possible with fabric. It may be possible to create a swagged effect, but it wouldn't cover every gap and would be a dreadful dust trap! I think he needs to speak to another builder/carpenter with more savvy.
        Kind regards
        Pen Harrison
        Colly Brook Fine Furnishings

Comment

Hi Cat,

This is the only idea that I could find:

"If you are looking for a way to give your spiral staircase much more appeal or dramatic effect, try attaching a curtain track to the ceiling around the perimeter of the staircase. If you find this a little difficult you can always use pin hooks instead. Next choose a fairly opaque curtain material to hang from your hooks or track, nets would also be fine. The curtains should create a full length cylinder around your staircase. Finally install some up-lighters inside the perimeter of your curtain, closely tracing the circular path. When you turn them on you really will be amazed by the effect of the almost ethereal shaft of light and the great shadow-play now spread across your walls"

Sewmad.

Comment

Hi Pen. Not sure why, as I haven't seen the staircase yet, but for reasons that will no doubt become clear tomorrow, I'm told it will not be possible for the builders to finish it in the way the client wanted.

Cat
            Kind regards

Cat

Comment

Hi sewmad. Thank you, I like the sound of that, especially the light shining upwards. Will post some pics after my visit.

Cat C.
              Kind regards

Cat

Comment

Working...
              X