Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hand Gathered Heading

Hi everyone.
    Does any one have any experience of a hand gathered heading please? I have several pairs of curtains to do and this is what the client wants.
    I will probably follow the M&D method in the encylopedia but thought that there may be someone who has done this type of thing in the past and could point out any pitfalls or have any handy tips.
    Kindest Regards

Penny

Denton Drapes

Re: Hand Gathered Heading

I recently had to make 2 valances of around 2.5-3m finished width where there was a lower section gathered on to a yoke (double fullness) . I threaded my machine top and bottom with strong thread (75 from memory) and set to a long stitch length to sew along the top edge of the skirt. I divided each yoke into equal sections with pins and the skirts into the same number of sections. Then pinned and gathered a section at a time to keep the gathering even, then stitching.

Another alternative is to zigzag over a strong thread (or even dental floss!) for the length of the gathering, secure one end, then make the gathers by holding the end of the strong thread and forming the gathers by hand. I haven't tried that.
    Louise

sigpic Simply Sewing

Comment

I once made a smocked valance by hand. I followed the Merrick & Day instructions and it was fine for the gathering, but the smocking took forever! But the gathering itself was okay. It does need to be stabilised on the back.

Good luck with it

Regards
      Pen
      Kind regards
      Pen Harrison
      Colly Brook Fine Furnishings

Comment

Thank you ladies... I will be consulting the books tomorrow.
        Kindest Regards

Penny

Denton Drapes

Comment

Heather Luke has a clever way to create hand gathered headings. She hand stitches 1" tape at the point she wishes the gathers to be and pulls up the tape to the required finished width. THEN she covers a length of buckram with lining. This has to be as wide as the finished width and just deep enough to cover the 1" tape. This is stitched into place to stabilise the head of the curtain and totally hide the heading tape.

Comment

I have done it in the past and used india tape at the back which is good for sewing the hooks onto. It might be easier to sew the hooks onto the tape before you attach it to the back of the curtains. I remember it all took ages, so good luck.
            Janie

Comment

There was a lovely 'other' post by Pen but it has been lost in the ether. Philip and Craig moved the forum back to the UK last night - don't really know where we'd been before that - but it is now faster and more super efficient!!!! Craig is an absolute computer whizz and plugs away in the background without any of us really knowing what he does but, whatever it is it makes Decozo possible.

I feel I should propose a toast. "A big thank you to Craig for all his hard work!".

Comment

Missing posts

by thecurtainmaker on Sat Nov 07, 2009 4:39 pm

It is a clever idea, and does save stitching gathering threads. But it only gives a shallow heading, so I don't think I would want to do it on long length curtains - it would be out of proportion. Does she do it on a short curtain?

Pen Harrison
                Colly Brook Fine Furnishings
                by Jules on Sat Nov 07, 2009 4:44 pm

This is her hand gathered method where you have a little upstand above the gather. Her hand pencil pleated heading is done in the traditional way with several rows of gathering to create the effect of x" penil pleats depending on the depth she's trying to achieve.
                MyDecozo Admin

Comment

Glad you said that Jules, I convinced myself I had read a reply but that was no longer. I thought I had lost the plot~~~!

Comment

lol Tam!

Thank you Philip!

Comment

Working...
                    X