Triple Pleats

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Triple Pleats

I know there are lots of threads on this but can anyone just give me a quick answer?

I am making curtain, triple pleats with 2.5 fullness and have already worked out the following,

Pole 204cms finial to finial, therefore each curtain will have 9 pleats @18.5cms (166.5cms) 8 spaces @ 12.5cms (100cms) flat width so far 266.5cms

what I'm not sure about is: how much should I add for the centre, ends and springback to get my final flat width, I thought 6 cms at each leading edge so when closed will give the effect of a full space (12cms) but not sure about the side edges and springback. I think I'm confusing myself by thinking too hard!!

Many thanks

JE

Re: Triple Pleats

I usually have a half space on the leading and trailing edges (unless returns etc. dictate otherwise) then it keeps the maths simple. On a pole I would allow between 5-10cm springback depending on what fitted easily on to the fabric I had available.
    Louise

sigpic Simply Sewing

Comment

Thanks Louise

So I will have a flat width of pleats 166.50cms + spaces 100cms + 6cms each edge (12) + springback 10cms = 288cm flat width.

Where would I 'lose' the springback ?

JE

Comment

The springback is added to the total required width of the finished curtain before you start the pleat/space calculations - i.e. half the pole + 10cm. Then when you calculate the spaces it is absorbed in to them.
        Louise

sigpic Simply Sewing

Comment

That's brilliant Louise, many many thanks

Comment

Hi advice needed or other tips - I regularly make curtains with triple pleats and mark and pin the pleats together and try to pin through the layers.
            I have recently tried pegs (clothes pegs) and this seems to work .

Any other ideas as my fingers are really suffering with the pins.

Comment

I mark out my pleats with vertical pins and then match the two pins together to sew the pleat together, but put my pins in horizontally one just below the buckram (so it is only going through fabric, lining and interlining) and then just catch the top edge with the other pin. I then leave the vertical pins in until I have it in the sewing machine to sew that pleat. Saves the fingers trying to push pins through the buckram.
              Rosannagh

Comment

I hold my pleats together with bulldog clips.

Regards
                Co
                Kind regards
                Colina

Comment

That sounds great Coco, are they large or several small? Do you just move them along as you sew? I will try them Thanks

Comment

I use those fold over metal clips, even used masking tape in the past to help me machine in a straight line.
                    Eileen.

Comment

It's the fold over ones I use as well. I have a tub of them (from Staples) and hold all the pleats at once. It's a good way of double checking your measurements once the clips are in place. You could use them individually if you wanted.

Co
                      Kind regards
                      Colina

Comment

please can anyone help -I am making triple pleat curtains in very thick fabric fabric on the front and a kind of latex or coating on the back slightly sticky.

I have used various needles none will go through without pulling with a pair of pliers!! it takes ages just to get to that stage.

I have 3 pairs to pleat in the same fabric toatal of 36 pleats. At the moment it is only poosible to 3 each day.

Any advice welcome

Comment

What about a very fine leather needle? The shank is triangular and they have a very sharp point that cuts through.

Comment

Thanks Rosie I will give them a try where do you think I could buy them?

Comment

http://www.singermachines.co.uk/sewing_ ... ng+needles

Comment

Working...
                              X