Sunburst canopy for a four poster

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sunburst canopy for a four poster

Not sure if this is the right place to ask, but...
    I have a four poster bed coming up in the next few weeks and am having a wooden frame built to fit into the top. I need to make a sunburst canopy to cover it in silk.
    I am going to attempt to do it by following the M&D instructions in the Encylopeadia. I was just interested to know if anyone else has any experience of doing something similar.
    Kindest Regards

Penny

Denton Drapes

Re: Sunburst canopy for a four poster

I have never done this, but I have some instructions I can send. Will email them to you in case they add anything useful....
    Louise

sigpic Simply Sewing

Comment

What a fabulous sounding job! Sorry can't help you but will wait for the finished job pictures with excitement! Good luck!

Comment

Thanks for that Louise very helpful.
        I have to say Rosie I will be approaching this project with lots of caution. I also have to do swags and tails around the outside too! I have 80 mts of silk waiting to be checked.
        Kindest Regards

Penny

Denton Drapes

Comment

I can't imagine so much silk all for one job... I'm not surprised you will be cautious. Is there any chance you could take photos of some of the stages or preparation and makeup and, if you were happy with them, perhaps let us see a few?

Comment

I have done a sunburst (half on a corona). As with all things its just practice.

When I did the sunburst I did mark out the sections ie quarters eights etc. That way you will know you are pleating the correct amount of fabric. You also need to estimate how much fabric you need per pleat. I used a staple gun and stapled each pleat and pulled firmly so it is pretty important to work out the pleats before hand. Then I covered the centre with Choux rosette.
            Karen Rhodes
            Karen Rhodes Design
            Pole Design

Comment

Thank you Karen, I have also done several corona's but reading the M&D instructions the canopy seems far more complicated especially trying to get the bulk of the fabric thru the hole in the middle. I will do a couple of trials with some MDF before I attempt the full size one.
              Kindest Regards

Penny

Denton Drapes

Comment

I have done a sunburst, and I don't think it was as complicated as their instructions sound! I didn't have a hole in the centre of mine - just pleated the fabric and cut away the excess.

Good luck with it - I'm sure it will be fine.
                Pen
                Kind regards
                Pen Harrison
                Colly Brook Fine Furnishings

Comment

That is very interesting Pen. Didn't you think the hole was necessary then, I am all for making life easier for myself.I am just concerned with the amount of fabric that will accumulate in the centre at least with the hole you can hide it all and also get a bit more tension pulling the cloth. Also as its silk the tendancy for fraying is large unless I use pinking sheers. What do you think?
                  Kindest Regards

Penny

Denton Drapes

Comment

I think the hole maybe better, as you can pull it tighter, and I would do that next time (if there is one!) I wouldn't bother pinking the edges, just make sure you have enough allowance.
                    Kind regards
                    Pen Harrison
                    Colly Brook Fine Furnishings

Comment

I thought I would update you all on the finished canopy.

I'd taken the canopy itself over to the house the day before yesterday in preparation for yesterday's big fitting.

I'm thrilled to report my customer was absolutely delighted with her room. This is the first four poster bed I have ever done and I breathed a huge sigh of relief when I drove away with a 'thank you' bottle of fizz in hand!

Jules wonders what she's got in mind for the next room on the list.......

Here are a few pictures starting with the bare bed, the inside of the canopy finishing with the room as best I can photograph it.

Thank you for all of your advice!!!

[attachment=2:emyfebx0]bed1small.jpg[/attachment:emyfebx0]

[attachment=1:emyfebx0]bed2small.jpg[/attachment:emyfebx0]

[attachment=0:emyfebx0]bed3 small.jpg[/attachment:emyfebx0]
                      Kindest Regards

Penny

Denton Drapes

Comment

Oh my god Penny, I was speechless when I saw the photos.......what a transformation of a room. I am sure its fabulous but a good nights sleep is NOT what springs to mind. Certainly not my cup of tea, and I hope that you had a cheque as well as the bottle of fizz in the hand. Its rather nice though when one leaves with a satisfied customer and the glow of a job well done. Well done indeed.!!!!!!

Enid

Comment

Thank you for your lovely reply Enid.
                          I must just explain that in the first picture the bed is actually in a completely different room and was moved to the room that you see in the second two pictures.
                          Kindest Regards

Penny

Denton Drapes

Comment

Well, yes OK, but .........to be honest I don't think that the style of the bed goes with the rest of it, but it is still fabulous, although I don't fancy sleeping in it. Has it given you ideas for your own bedroom????

Enid

Comment

OMG No! Although I love the luxurious look of the silk I wouldn't have something like it myself.
                              It's nice to enjoy that kind of bed on a weekend away isn't it?
                              Kindest Regards

Penny

Denton Drapes

Comment

Working...
                              X