X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Those lovely triple pleats again!!!!!

Hi all

A question or maybe several.

I have a pair of triple pleat curtains to make, no problems with the make up etc but they are to go on a Kirstch Track onto a 3 sided bay window

The fitter has placed an eye on the back edge of the track to put the first hook into. The question I need answering is I have measured the back edge eye to the first hole for the hook and on the back it is something like 5'' and then the front edge is 4'' and am wondering how to work out the pleats and spaces, so that they look sort of equal, I don't really want 5'' spaces all the way I am thinking so what is the best method to use????? If it helps with the exact measurements then let me know and I can send a new topic for you all to see!!!

I look forward to your replies!!

smiley

Re: Those lovely triple pleats again!!!!!

Could you just place pin hooks in the heading to suit the track holes, even if it means a pin hook in a space where you would not normally have one? Then you could position the pleats/spaces on the curtain itself as you normally would, but just have an extra hook in the last space on outside edge to fit the track.

Hope I have understood what you are describing.
    Louise

sigpic Simply Sewing

Comment

Louise
      I have thought long and hard about this but I am concerned about the pleats as i don't want them bending where they shouldn't and the first section at the back as said is 5'' and it would look horrible with the pleat on a bend if you get what I mean, I want it to be smooth up until the first hook hole and then my first pleat

smiley

Comment

Hi Smiley,

Not sure if I'm reading this correctly. Is the extra screw eye there to secure and return the curtain to the wall? If so, I would not include this in my calculations, and would leave it flat. I would not normally start my pleats until I was about 5cm into the actual track. So this would be 12cm of flat space for the return, then (say) 5cm of additional flat (I don't like a pleat right on the bend), then start your pleats. Normally, I would have one or two pin hooks inserted into the flat space on the return or leading edges. This is why I like my buckram doubled up on the flat sections. Then you can insert the hooks without the worry that they will come through to the face fabric.

Sorry if I have misunderstood your query.

Sue.

Comment

Hi Sue
          Yes you have it. the hook is for the flat return to go back to the wall. My only concern is that I work the pleats and spaces out correctly as the front edge is also going to be quite wide also.

When you say you put two hooks in, I know the first hook will go into the eye to take the return back to the wall, but where does the 2nd hook go, on the first hole of the track?????

The track is one that overlaps in the middle and you pulley the curtains open, sorry about my jargon, but do not have the technical terms, trust you will understand what I mean????

I have also been advised that the spaces will spring forward rather than back as they are hung on a track???

thanks in advance
          smiley

Comment

Hi Smiley,

As an example I recently did a bay window, where there was quite a large flat section on both outside edges where the track stopped and was returned to the wall. It also had an overlap arm like yours does. Therefore like you I had a flat section on the outside edge (return), and approximately 8cm flat at the centre at the overlap (leading edge).

So bearing that in mind, you need to measure the full width of the track, divide by 2, + add (say) 12cm for the return + (say) 8cm for the overlap arm. Then add (say) 10cm for springback.
            Add all these together to find out how wide each finished curtain needs to be.

Then when you calculate your pleats and spaces you would do it as follows: (example)

Take the width of the flat curtain fabric and minus the total of the finished curtain (as calculated above). This is the amount you have to go into the pleats.
            Take the finished curtain width then minus the flat space at the return (say 12cm), then I personally would minus another 5cm of flat, so that the pleat does not fall on the bend (so that is 17cm). Then also minus the flat section for the overlap arm. This is the amount available for spaces (excluding the end spaces).

Then take the amount you have available for pleats and divide it by the number of pleats you need (usually 4 per fabric width). This will give you the amount per pleat. Then take the amount available for spaces and divide it by one less than the number of pleats, this is the amount of space between each pleat.

When you mark them out with pins it will look something like this:

RETURN / 2CM FLAT / 1ST PLEAT / 1ST SPACE / ETC ETC. / LEADING EDGE /

Remember you will have a left and right curtain (I think we have probably all done that once!).

Yes on a track the spaces come forward, on a pole they go backwards.

You can double check your calculations by adding together the return, 2cm flat, plus all the spaces, plus the flat leading edge. This should be the same as your finished width measurement.

It is a bit hit and miss when hanging curtains with returns and leading edges. I tend to insert the pins about 8cm down from the top of the curtain on each pleat, which depending on the sort of track, will cover the track, when the curtains are closed. I then add extra pins where necessary depending on where the holes are in the overlap arm. Sometimes it is necessary to add extra pins at the outside edge for the screw eye, and possibly an extra one or two if it needs supporting further. Usually one pin needs to go into the end hole of the track (not the first glider) but the fixed hole.

Sorry to waffle on...

Sue.

Comment

Hi Sue
              Sorry it has taken me a long time to get going on these curtains and I have now finally cut them out, interlined them and the lining and buckram are going in tomorrow, so would REALLY REALLY appreciate a point in the right direction for working out the pleats and spaces for the top so here goes with my measurements.................

The track is 275cm and finished drop is 231cm I have made a pair of 3 width curtains, and am still deliberating whether they are in fact too wide, but would like the fullness as the room is lovely and with the bay and the curtains when they are done it will look lovely I am sure. The finished width of one curtain is 422cm.

As you remember I had a problem in that I have to make sure the back edge is 11.5cm and the front edge is 14cm.

I usually use 3cm per width of fabric for tolerance and also 10cm for centre overlap, but I don't think I will need the centre overlap as I need to use the measurements I have given for the front edge and the back edge. Confused ...............!!!!!

Can you help me at all, it would really be appreciated. Any other measurements you need just let me know, I will be eternally grateful

regards
              smiley

Comment

Hi Smiley,

Sorry only just logged on and see that Philip has answered your query on another post.

Hope you have them sorted by now. Better to have too much fabric which can be put into lush pleats then not enough and looking skimpy.

Sue.

Comment

Hi Sue
                  Have received your answer thanks for getting back to me. I have taken on board all the information given by all the lovely people on this site. Got totally confused and gone back to my sewing teacher who taught me in the first place.

I had way too much fabric for the curtains and have been told off!!!!!! She is no longer prepared to help and has advised that I should get a qualification or not bother!!!! So you can see why my confidence has plummetted. Why do people have to be like that and be in business??????

So...............................

My track measurement is

275 x 2.25 = 618 divided by 148 which is my fabric width = 4 widths

261 drop (includes drop and turnings of 30cm) divided by 44cm pattern repeat = 6 pattern repeats in total

4 x 261 = 1044 = 11 metres fabric.

I now have the measurements for the pleats taking into consideration the leading edge going onto a corded track which is
                  13cm and the back edge onto an eye on the ceiling which is 11cm so I really need to have some help with working out my pleats and spaces.

Hope this makes real sense now, I feel a lot better as I really think 3 widths was way too much and very bulky, much happier with the 2 widths in each curtain.

Can you help???
                  smiley in desperation!!!

Comment

Sue
                    Just to let you know also I have now taken the curtains back to two widths and the finished width for one curtain is 280cm

hope this makes sense

regards
                    smiley

Comment

Hi Smiley,

I really don't want to confuse you further, and I think that your former teacher is totally out of order, however, I think I would have stuck at 2.5 widths per curtain.

I need to be sure I understand you correctly -

Your track measures 275 + (2x11 returns) + (2x13 leading edges) = TOTAL TRACK WIDTH 323cm??? Or does the 275cm INCLUDE the returns and leading edges? This could be where its going pear shaped??

I have calculated the pleats and spaces as I would do them, but I am not giving them here at the moment, until I am sure because I don't want to confuse you further.

You must add to the physical track width all the extras, such as returns, leading edges and springback (if needed), to give you the full track (or curtain) width.

Sue.

Comment

Have to agree as well, how rude and unhelpful. Don't go back and ask her, use us.

Like Suel, I ask the same questions before I go working it out. Thats the trouble with pleats, each person has their preferred method of working, tried and tested for them, and suddenly it goes pear shaped and it can be ages before the penny drops again and confidence returns.

Enid

Comment

Working...
                        X