Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Curtains permanently joined at centre

Hello

I have finally got to the stage to pleat my curtains - Buckram inserted as per Philip's picture instructions, pleats marked and ready to sew, again as per forum instructions thank you everybody. BUT I want to join them permanently at the centre, if anyone has the M&D book Blinds, Curtain and Cushions, the style I would like to achieve is on pages 86/87. My curtains will be inverted pleats, and on a pole and tied back just like the pictures, but I don't know how to join them 'ladder stitched' will that be strong enough? or sew fabric behind joining the two together with stitch in the ditch(I have turned the face fabric over the buckram) I have searched the book but no instruction.

Many thanks to everybody for all your help past and future - I still have 5 more windows to do.

JE

Re: Curtains permanently joined at centre

Hi Joan

Finish them as two seperate curtains and they hang them - once hanging stitch them togther at the middle with a concealed stitch. Or if they are your own curtains in them in place.

Philip
    Have you registered your business yet?

http://www.ukcurtainmakers.co.uk

A MyDecozo Directory

Comment

You could try using velcro, then if you have to take them down you won't have the problem of undoing hidden stitching.

Comment

Janie - How would I attach the velcro - or am I being thick

Comment

I would put about a 3" strip longways onto the overlaps. You can machine or handsew it onto the under curtain on the right side near to the outside edge and then handsew onto the lining side of the top curtain but setting it in a bit further so that you have a good overlap. Hope that helps

Comment

Yes it does - thankyou

Comment

Joan
              Just thought of another idea to save any sewing. If you are using a curtain track you may be able to put end stops in the centre of track and therefore your overlaps can cover each other, or if not possible you could wire the 2 centre runners/ rings a couple of inches apart through the screw eye.

Comment

Hi Janie

The wire idea is good - being a novice would you normally overlap curtains joined at centre?

JE

Comment

Joan the eye will be drawn to the middle join automatically so I would suggest you hang a tassel or make a choux or something to cover the join and make it a feature.

Philip

A MyDecozo Directory

Comment

Err, excuse me as the novice here too, but wouldn't it be possible to use hooks and eyes for the join rather than stitching? especially if hidden by a tassel as Schuby suggested.

Comment

You could use anything to join the two curtains, ideally fixed headings would be attached to a board with velcro as there is no need for a pole or track, but in this case they are to be fitted to a track. It's a case of whatever looks best. I have used aluminium tracking used for roman blinds before now when fitting Italian strung, fixed headings.

A MyDecozo Directory

Comment

Hooray!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I've finished, I've finished, I've finished ONE pair of curtains, taken so long, (started last November) just need DB to help me hang them at the weekend.

Thank you everyone for your help.

Hooray!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Well done Joan. You must be so chuffed with yourself. We want to see a photo as soon as they're up
                          Jane

Comment

Working...
                          X