Apex windows and Italian stringing?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Apex windows and Italian stringing?

I've told a customer she can have a very high, but narrow, apex window Italian strung. Currently there's a wood batten affixed to the ceiling where a flat piece of material has been regularly pleated and stapled. So someone's had an attempt at putting something up, but the curtains are held back by holdbacks that are awkwardly placed because this window's in a recess so no stack back at all. Can I assume that because I've already got the battening in place, This apex window can have new curtains strung do you think?
    I've read all the posts on this and think that a strongly fitted single screweye/china thimble to the batten would be ok. Then another down the wall each side to guide the cord. to a double cleat.
    I have to keep this very simple to minimise the cost to the customer, so although I've read the Merrick & Day instructions, and Schuby's, I won't be putting the cord inside the lining but outside the lining ( with strengthening at the points the guide-rings will be). There are two other 5 mtr high windows to do possibly if this one works; an apex window where a wall divides it so each room has 'half' ' an apex ! Has anyone any thoughts on this, to help me?
    Caroline

Caroline, I have done something similar with a grampol swag where I stitched rings to the back of the panel for the stringing to pass through.

I hung the panel in my workroom and used safety pins first for the ring positions to get the drape right. I had used weight chain on site first to plan the size of the swag effect when the cord was pulled up so I knew the finished effect I was looking for. I followed instructions in the Home Furnishings Workbook by Maureen Whitemore.

Louise

sigpic Simply Sewing

Comment

I've also made a grampol swag following Louise's draping method with safety pins and it worked perfectly.
      CatherineL
      Catherine Lepreux Interiors

Comment

Pardon my ignorance, but what is a grampol swag?

Comment

I've just Googled this and the pictures show a simple panel curtain that is pulled up to one side only. Quite a neat and decorative single curtain. However, my customer has now said she wants blackout lining and possibly interlining too. The top of the apex is over 5 mtrs high and the width side to side is 160cms. I can anticipate a few worries with this.
          Caroline

Comment

I think that is going to get very heavy isn't it Caroline!!!

Maybe some research into theatre curtains would help estimate the strength of fixings etc. required and the kind of weight you'd be dealing with as they often have italian strung type curtains on stage. I think Denton Drapes once had something like this to deal with at a stately home setting, there might be information here already if you search for their posts combined with 'theatre'......

This is my grampol swag as I was working on getting the drape right
            Work in progress on a grampol swag - checking the stringing at the back creates the right draped effect.
            Louise

sigpic Simply Sewing

Comment

Your photo is a very good illustration Louise! My customer's house is modern but her interior decor is without any style and although the tall narrow apex is in a guest bedroom ( which also has a quite normal sliding patio door on the adjecent wall, the other two 'half apex' windows are a nursery and a 4 year old's room. Hence she doesn't want anything too showy or expensive she tells me! I'm not an aggressive saleswoman, but I think this is a case where I have to tell her what I'm prepared to do. A 'silky' blackout lining plus a lighter weight interlining I think may gather up better. The fabric is a nice drapey check design.
              We shall see!
              Caroline

Comment

Working...
              X