Flop Over Frill/Valance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Flop Over Frill/Valance

A client would like a pair of curtains with a flop-over heading (approx 8"). Normally I make these with 3" PP tape sewn down from the top of the heading to create the flop-over bit. This client does not want a frilly gathered look, just a more informal look. Do you think the same method would work successfully if there was little or no extra fullness in the fabric (i.e.) just use the PP tape as a means to stiffen the heading and provide pockets for the hooks, but not actually pull up the strings?

Your thoughts would be much appreciated.

Thanks,
    Sue.

Re: Flop Over Frill/Valance

Hi Sue

Sounds like your client want an attached valance - M&D page 174. Be careful with the proportions, if the valance is too big they look dreadful, base the valance on 1/5th to 1/6th of the finished curtain drop. I'm making a set for a client next week as it happens, but she's having triple pleats. Sue you can use 3" pencil pleat tape sewn only onto the main curtain thus allowing the valance to flop over. Curtain and valance cut to the same width before pleating.

[attachment=0:3pyeisr9]attached valance.jpg[/attachment:3pyeisr9]
    Have you registered your business yet?

http://www.ukcurtainmakers.co.uk

A MyDecozo Directory

Comment

Thanks Philip,

Yes similar, but not hand pleated. Have made quite a few of these before but usually do the normal 2-2.5 fullness. She wants informal, not frilly, so wasn't sure if the 3" PP would work if not actually gathered (or not gathered much). Also the tape will be sewn only to the curtain bit, not the valance as well (although I have done this too, it give a more similar look to the picture you posted). It seems that the gathering of the tape causes the frilly look. What do you think?

Sue.

Comment

What about this picture? Probably uses 1" curtain tape to give a less regimented look.
        [attachment=0:l5ojznre]frill.jpg[/attachment:l5ojznre]
        Have you registered your business yet?

http://www.ukcurtainmakers.co.uk

A MyDecozo Directory

Comment

I always use a 1" tape on a flop over heading - I have made several pairs like this. I even made a pair for our guest bedroom as I liked the informal look.
          Yvonne

Comment

I have a cleint who has bought some Ikea curtaisn which have a flop over heading (embrodiered) then just a casing on the back to thread the curtain pole through. But they want me to line them and put a heading on so they can hand the curtains with rings. So the question is - do you sew the heading tape just through the main curtain or through the flop over heading as well to get that lovely Vanessa Arbuthnott effect I saw in the one of the replies attachments?

Comment

You sew the tape through all layers - the distance you position it down the curtain determines the size of the flop over top which has to be double-sided to show the right side of the fabric when in place.
              Louise

sigpic Simply Sewing

Comment

Thanks for that. I think I may have curtains with a valance though having just re read the rest of these posts as it does seem to be a separate piece. I'll have a go at sewing the 3 inch tape to just the top of the main curtain then if that looks wrong I guess I could sew it through the valance too. So confusing!!

Comment

Rebecca,
                  you don't sew it through the valance as well, fold the valance up out of the way and just sew through the curtain and lining at the finished length position. Then fold the valance down for the more informal look. Use gathering tape rather than pencil pleat.
                  Kind regards
                  Pen Harrison
                  Colly Brook Fine Furnishings

Comment

For clarification - this is what I would call an attached valance where all layers are stitched through when you attach the tape for a crisper effect.

Click image for larger version

Name:	stitched through.jpeg
Views:	1
Size:	2.2 KB
ID:	114555
                    Louise

sigpic Simply Sewing

Comment

Thanks Pen for that advice - tha makes perfect sense. The only thing is I'm not sure what the difference is between gathering tape and pencil pleat and does it come in different widths and which one should I use? I looked on your website but can't find gathering tape on there or is it labelled as something different?
                      Thanks again
                      Rebecca

Comment

I think gathering tape is simply narrow curtain tape - like the Standard one on Colly Brook site.
                        Louise

sigpic Simply Sewing

Comment

Yes, gathering tape is Rufflette Standard - sorry! It's 2.5cm wide, pencil pleat tape is generally 7.8cm wide.
                          Kind regards
                          Pen Harrison
                          Colly Brook Fine Furnishings

Comment

Working...
                          X