Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Feeling nervous about a triangle curtain!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Feeling nervous about a triangle curtain!

I've been asked to make a dress curtain [fixed and held back by tie backs] for a large triangle window. Photo attached. It has a flat section at the top. I plan to attach 2" pencil pleat contact tape and then to velcro to wooden battens attached to the wall. I will also add eyelets to the batten that I can hook the curtain on to. I'm just not sure how to cut this out. I need 2.5 widths of fabric. I was going to sew the tape onto the angled side and then sew separate tape onto the flat top section. I appreciate that the folds might not sit vertically, but the client doesn't want pinch pleats. Just need some reassurance that this will work!

I would suggest once you know the fullness ratio of your heading tape to get the total width required for the panel, you need to plan the angle of the heading by taking the required drop (including hems, turnings etc) for the inside and outside edges and 'map' them onto the fabric. Joining the two points will give you the required slope at the top. Then add the straight part at the leading edge to the width, again, following the fullness of the tape.

Interested to hear how anyone else would tackle it.
    Louise

sigpic Simply Sewing

Comment

Sylvan, I'm alittle confused because you say it's a dress curtain, ie. a curtain that isn't going to cover the window because it isn't ever going to be drawn closed. But you intend taking it right up the diagonal sides and across the flat top? I would envision curtains stacked neatly at the sides and having a flat pelmet across the top. If the heading is to be on show then whether its a gathered pencil pleat tape or pinches a curtain drapes better when the gathers are vertical 'plumb'. This of course creates the problem you mention of what happens when the flat central part meets the diagonal slope. Pinches positioned vertically, fiddly though they will be, may look better because you can accommodate the flat top in planning out the top edge of the heading. As Louise says the best way to get a handle on the shape you need is to 'map' the shape and possibly draw out a paper pattern. This only needs to be half the window and only to the drop of the horizontal frame.
      Caroline

Comment

Working...
      X