Sloping window

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sloping window

Has anyone made curtains for a window with it's top sloping; a 'half Apex' window? Customer wanted a roman blind but the handles of the big square windows below the sloping section stick out 8 cms. We can't fit the headrail to the ceiling and I think it would be awkward to fit a batten to the metal window frames in order to put the headrail across the top of the squaer windows. Customer suggested curtains and I concurred with her that yes indeed it is possible to have a ceiling fitted pole or track. But unlike an Apex, we can't have the usual immoveable heading. I want to use a working pair of curtains and a corded track. What problems may I encounter?
    Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN1192.JPG
Views:	165
Size:	59.5 KB
ID:	130171

Could you fit a wooden panel across the top of the window outside the recess and use it to secure a roman track then also make a half-apex pelmet fascia to cover the top of the roman and fit up into the shaped section of the window to the ceiling?
    Louise

sigpic Simply Sewing

Comment

• Julia
      Julia commented
      Editing a comment
      Hi Caroline, I would suggest not to emphasise the shaped part at the top, so I would say a pelmet would not look good. Even curtains will look a little odd there doesn't seem much room for any stacking. If it was my window I would try and see if it was possible to get a new window and board and plaster the bit above, depends whether the customer would take offence to this.

Actually, Julia, this window is new! The slope is the roof of the house which is flat and slopes from front to back, honestly what was the architect thinking of!!! The neighbouring house you can see through the window shows the sloping roof . And it gets worse: the left half is a square window that is hinged to open INTO the room and the right side opens at the top edge (hinged at the bottom edge ) like a 'tilt and turn' and all the windows in the house that open are like this (but not with this diagonal top bit). Customer has chosen roman blinds for all windows (outside recess), and would quite like one for this one, but the stack would have to be no shorter than 4inches because of the opening inwards, plus I'd have to fit a deep batten across the 2mtr width without screwing into the metal frame. She has agreed that curtains hanging from the ceiling is a simple option. I think the fabric will be a lightweight linen with a standard lining so I hope that a corded track will hold the 'tall' right hand curtain open.

Comment

Wow - a challenging house! Let us know how you get on won't you?
      Louise

sigpic Simply Sewing

Comment

I would make the curtains overlong so that the longer length on the left does not look odd when open. The other way to hold open on the right would be a tieback but I am not sure if the curtain will stay shut from the left on a slope. Does anyone else have experience of this with a corded track?
        Alternatively make a single stack curtain to the right held open with a tie back and when shut will be running down hill.

Comment

Yes Lizzie, I did suggest to customer to minimise the awkward hemline to have them puddled slightly. I must admit a single curtain drawing to the right would have less problems with construction, plus I wouldn't need puddling. BUT would it not emphasise the weirdness of the window? There is 40cms area for the stack to the RHS as compared to 14cms on LHS. I will have to specify a very robust track whichever way. I was also thinking of sewing in magnets to the leading edges at the heading to add to the closing.
          I'm really scratching my head over this one and considering the customer hasn't chosen fabric I cannot afford to plan for this window unless she makes a commitment with me.
          I think I'm going to suggest a vertical blind ( that I know can work from a slope and be ceiling fitted) cover it with a shallow pelmet and have dress curtains to soften the sides.
          Caroline

Comment

Working...
          X