Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stitch in the Ditch - inverted pleats

Hi

Can anyone tell me what and how to 'stitch in the ditch ' as mentioned by Sharon in a previous thread/post on inverted pleats.

Do I need a special foot? I think I understand the principal but not how to do it. How do you stop the stitches showing on the front of the curtain? I've searched the web but instruction are not very clear.

Any help out there please?

J (Novice)

Re: Stitch in the Ditch - inverted pleats

[attachment=0:350dz9ei]stitch in ditch.jpg[/attachment:350dz9ei]
    hope this helps Joan,
    sharon
    those nails belong to Susan Schurz from CHF who has very kindly let me use the pic here.
    www.picturetrail.com/tavernhillsue

Comment

Hello J,

There are feet to help 'stitch in the ditch'. Quilters often do this.

Ditch Quilting Foot
      Sew "in the ditch" of a seam with this snap-on foot. The extended guide helps you stay in the seam while the machine stitches. It's perfect for quilt tops and garment construction on waistbands, etc.

Having stitched on waistbands many years ago without knowing there was a special foot, I suppose it's just a case of go slow and take care that your needle falls 'in the ditch'. Sharon has beaten me to it with an excellent photo. Fabulous nails!

Comment

Brilliant - thanks

Will an edge joining foot do the trick ?

Yes fabulous nails - my fingers are covered in plasters having stabbed myself several times with pins!!!!!!!!

J

Comment

glad it helped Joan.
          I must confess, not my nails, i wish......
          I borrowed the pic
          sharon

Comment

I bought one of those stitch-in-the-ditch feet - it makes it so easy!
            Louise

sigpic Simply Sewing

Comment

I've just bought one - tried it on my sample curtain and its great, takes a bit of getting used to though, think I might need a stronger needle my 70 broke.

Thanks for all the info

J

Comment

I am about to make my first pair of inverted pleat curtains and saw the post on stitching in the ditch. Is this the way all inverted pleat curtains are finished? I had wondered what happened to the pleat of fabric at the back. Does this not make them very stiff and how do they fall when they are open - does the space between the pleats fall to the back or the front? and can you leave the pleat sticking out at the back?
                Julie
                Julie

Comment

Working...
                X