Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Inverted Pleats

Hi

I have practised my triple pleats on my sample curtain - very nice too, But - has anyone ever made inverted pleat headings, not exactly box pleats, when I finished the triple pleat the reverse of the curtain looked really nice and different so I wondered if this finish could be done as a heading, but without the pleat at the back of course, not sure if I am making any sense.

J

Re: Inverted Pleats

Hi Joan

The inverted box pleat is a nice look and generally more suited to fixed headings, and is mainly used for Italian string curtains or dress curtains. Also be aware inverted box pleat headings require 3 x your track width and are not really suited curtain curtains if they are required to open and close.
    Have you registered your business yet?

http://www.ukcurtainmakers.co.uk

A MyDecozo Directory

Comment

Hi

If curtains are dressed do they still require 3 x track? How would I accommodate the back bulk, I allowed 20cms for the the triple pleats but the inverted pleat would not have the pleats on the back would it?

I had intended to join the triple pleated curtains at the header (ladder stitch I think) and use tie backs and blind but leaving them open with a blind behind looks really nice. I am now so confused as to what to do!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The windows are very narrow and tall (120cms track x 245cms drop)

I am now so confused as to what to do!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

j

Comment

Joan have a read through the post on dress curtains The bulk with inverted pleats isn't an issue if they are fixed. Using 3 x track width is the best proportion for the style, but you can make smaller pleats if you wish. Do what works for you.

The picture below shows forward box pleats used as a fixed heading - These are basically made as you would a triple/goblet pleat, but they are flattened to form the box pleat. I'd imagine they have used 2.25 to 2.5 track for this treatment. As you can see they are fixed in the middle and are also Italian strung.

[attachment=0:3nsvjlcx]box3.jpg[/attachment:3nsvjlcx]
        Attached Files
        Have you registered your business yet?

http://www.ukcurtainmakers.co.uk

A MyDecozo Directory

Comment

[attachment=0:2q0aca6v]inverted pleat.jpg[/attachment:2q0aca6v]
          I made this a while ago. The pleat at the back was flattened out and i 'stitched in the ditch' on the front of the curtain.
          Sharon

Comment

How did you attach the panels to the rings? Did you use pin hooks in the middle of the folded pleat? or sew-on hooks?
            Louise

sigpic Simply Sewing

Comment

Hi Louise,
              I used pin hooks, inserted just next to the stitch line, thru the buckram.
              sharon

Comment

Hi Sharon

They are lovely Are these dress curtains only ?

J

Comment

Hi Joan,
                  yes they are just dress curtains. they were for a bay window which had vertical blinds and so they wanted something to soften the look.
                  thanks fpr the comliment.
                  sharon

Comment

Can anyone help? I have read the various posts on inverted pleats and it seems they are best suited to dress curtains. However I have a customer who wants them to pull open and shut - would I leave a bigger gap in-between each pleat to allow for this? Also would I have less fabric i.e. double the width of the window rather than triple? They are for full length over double doors. Thanks in advance

Comment

Penny (Denton Drapes) has a beautiful curtain in her workroom with inverted pleats that she posted on 30th September entitled 'Denton Drapes Observer day' (in Training Courses Feedback section) - sorry, i don't know how to make a link
                      Rosannagh

Comment

MyDecozo Admin

Comment

When we have done inverted pleats for working curtains we have found it's best not to sew down the pleat to the back of the curtain but to let it sit like a cartridge pleat. This allows the space to fold forward nicely when the curtains are drawn back giving a nice neat stackback. The visual effect from the front when the curtains are closed is unchanged.

Regards,

Phil.

Comment

Phil - where do you position the hook? Do you use a pin hook just to the side of the pleat or a sew-on one?
                            Louise

sigpic Simply Sewing

Comment

Originally posted by Louise
                              Phil - where do you position the hook? Do you use a pin hook just to the side of the pleat or a sew-on one?
                              I put a pin hook just to one side of the stitch line. We have used sew in hooks in the past but find them a pain in the ......

Phil

Comment

Working...
                              X