Smocked heading

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Smocked heading

Has anyone used the Rufflette smocked heading tape? A customer seems keen on a smocked heading and I'm not sure I can face making it by hand.........
    Louise

sigpic Simply Sewing

Re: Smocked heading

Yes, it's awful. Not deep enough, and a right fiddle to draw up properly. Much better to use pencil pleat and then smock it.I was so looking forward to my silk smocked bedroom curtains, and I was never happy with them.

Comment

Thanks - that's an interesting suggestion - I guess the handmade smocking stitches create the effect rather than the tape itself. Am I right in thinking this is only really suitable for a fixed-type heading?
      Louise

sigpic Simply Sewing

Comment

Mine weren't fixed heading, but didn't look good open or closed. Better hung from a pole perhaps, if working curtains. Since I haven't been successful with them, you'd better wait for someone else!!
        Most of the pictures I've seen are fixed, come to think of it, but that might be to show the heading off. Would opening and closing put a strain on the smocking?

Comment

Irene used normal pencil pleat tape for her smocked heading, Louise with fantastic results..

Philip
          Have you registered your business yet?

http://www.ukcurtainmakers.co.uk

A MyDecozo Directory

Comment

thanks for that - looks really nice!
            Louise

sigpic Simply Sewing

Comment

I'd only use smock headings for valances and fixed heading such as Italian string.

Philip
              Have you registered your business yet?

http://www.ukcurtainmakers.co.uk

A MyDecozo Directory

Comment

I knew I'd seen something authorative about this, just could'nt remember where. The wisdom from my books is that the curtains won't stack back properly, but I think that from a pole, with careful hook placement, they might. I'm shooting the breeze here, I know,but I can't see why not.

Comment

YOu can also hand pleat and then stitch onto buckram. Takes ages but the result is brilliant.
                  Karen Rhodes
                  Karen Rhodes Design
                  Pole Design

Comment

I've hand pleated an interlined valance - didn't use buckram as well. It takes a verrrry long time, but looked good. I would say that this type of heading is for fixed curtains/valances only.
                    Kind regards
                    Pen Harrison
                    Colly Brook Fine Furnishings

Comment

Working...
                    X