Wave heading on an integrated track?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wave heading on an integrated track?

I am about to embark on a pair of wave headed curtains, in James Hare Silk with a coloured lining and was all gungho to make a start until I spoke to the SG rep who explained that the actual wave heading tape will only work with the metropole or the 3840 track. My client has a 1960s property with integrated curtain tracks which have, what look like SG1080 rings (I am waiting a sample ring from Hallis Hudson to confirm this) so on this basis, the actual SG wave heading tape is a no-go.
    Having read other threads here, I am erring towards the Rufflette Tempo tape, and would be grateful for peoples thoughts before I order yet another tape heading I may or may not use! Also would people use the metrolpole hemming tape with the Rufflette Tempo, to get a clean finish or would this create too much bulk in the heading. My clients remit is for a pair of full length curtains with the wave style header and no fuss! The actual window size is 3700mm wide. Any advice greatly received

Re: Wave heading on an integrated track?

I think there is an alternative track/system to SG but I havent used it/them. I have used wave on metropole & have used Tempo tape. When I used tempo tape I machined the top edge of the tape but hand stitched the bottom edge of the tape & it looked quite nice, sadly dont have a pic to show you. From memory you need to look carefully at placement of the tape before you attach it. Best wishes
    KarenS

Comment

The plus point about Tempo is that it's just like a normal Rufflette tape and can be machined on or used with an iron-on adhesive and the draw strings when pulled up create the wave pleat. You can control the shape of the wave by drawing up tighter or less so. No special hooks are needed though for each pleat(wave) two hooks will be needed. So on a newly purchased track or pole more rings/gliders will probably be needed.
      I have found one negative point on curtains on a very wide (4.8mtr) track and that is that after some time with the customer pulling (if hand-drawn) on the leading edge, the cords can move slightly which shows in that some of the waves on the leading edge can become out of shape. My customer complained after 6 months that some waves were looking different to others. I fixed the problem by holding the gathers in the back of the tape (the bit that gathers up to pull the wave into shape) within a paperclip. I did this on all the pleats just to make sure the gathers didn't pull out. Took a time on such a big curtain but the problem was fixed and the clips can be slipped out should the curtain go to the cleaners and the cords need to be pulled flat.
      Caroline

Comment

Ah yes Caroline, I had forgotten that I sewed the gathered tape at the back so that it wouldnt move & I didnt take the tape into the leading edge so that it would remain flat & the correct size. Paperclips sound a great idea.
        KarenS

Comment

I used to use the Tempo tape a lot but don't use it at all now as I prefer to use buckram and pin hooks. I then insert 2 pinhooks into one ring which gives a lovely, seamless wave effect. The problem with the Tempo tape was that (as already mentioned) you need lots of rings (2 per wave) and the waves pull out of shape very easily. Also, before you sew the tape on you have to work out the side seams of the curtain as it needs to fit exactly otherwise it won't work, and there isn't much leeway.
          Hope that helps
          Jacqui
          Quarndon Curtain Design

Comment

I agree with Jacqui & hardly ever use tape. I do like this method Also cartridge pleats as an alternative.
            KarenS

Comment

Have you tried the Easiflex system by Evans, the tracks are very reasonably priced and once you know the ins and outs the effect is very good, they can't call it `wave' because it's TM. I haven't heard a lot of good things about the tempo tape, I personally wouldn't use it.

Comment

After reading peoples earlier comments I opted for the Tempo tape and can only hope (having read peoples comments since making this decision) that the tape is up to the job. I will also use the paperclip method as recommended by Carolineblue but didnt feel I could use buckrum wave method with just silk and lining as worried the pin hooks would show though. I will silicone spray the track to ensure the curtain rings move easily and may sldo suggest rod pulls. The curtains themselves look lovely (on the workbench) so hopefully the heading will behave once installed!

Comment

Try to take a photo when they're up! If you can post in in Gallery under the curtain headings list that will be so helpful to others to see exactly how this 'wave' differs from other methods.
                  Caroline

Comment

Working...
                  X