Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Revisiting old work

Hi all,

I had a call to a client this week whose curtains I made about 18months ago. They were interlined with a flange cord leading edge. I was apalled at the state of them when I saw them. The fabric had dropped nearly 3cm (LA Fabric I might add!!) and because I had sewn the hem through to the face of the curtains the fabric was sagging over the front of the hemline. Also where the corded edge was the fabric was sagging downwards away from the cord. In short they looked awful.

I have offered to take them away and re-hem them and client is really sweet so I may do it as goodwill.

My point is that its so depressing the re-visit a client and find your work that you were quite pleased with has turned into something horrific. I also visited another client whose triple pleat curtains were made over a year ago and they too were beautiful and now they have been manhandled so much they are barely hanging on their hooks anymore.

Does anyone else reel in horror when they visit friends houses and see they stuff they did fading and generally wearing out??!!
    Kim

Re: Revisiting old work

Kim can I give you one piece of advice - Fabric moves, it grows it shrinks and grows again. The moisture in the air will have a major affect on soft furnishings, especially curtains as they just hang there. One thing I notice is that you sew interlined curtain hems through all thicknesses - This in itself is a problem; fold the interlining in the hem and don't pick up the face fabric when sewing - this will allow the fabrics to move freely as the rooms moisture changes. The face fabric should be totally free from any stitches when the curtains are interlined.

Philip
    Have you registered your business yet?

http://www.ukcurtainmakers.co.uk

A MyDecozo Directory

Comment

Hi Kim,

Nice to hear from you. Please don't despair. What Philip says is right, fabric is almost a living breathing thing. You cannot be totally responsible for everything that happens to your work during its lifetime. They are not your babies, although they feel like it sometimes!

I have had clients call me back after more than a year to moan about their fabric (LA fabric also, as it happens). I did my best to put the job right, FOC, but ended the conversation with 'it is the fabric, not how I have made it'. I have not heard from that client again, and although I felt bad at the time, I remind myself of all the happy clients I have. Those that recommend me to their friends and family. You cannot keep everyone happy all of the time.

Yes it is disappointing, that quality items are not handled with care. I think you are right to offer to try to put it right, possibly FOC, if not too time consuming, but do make your side of the deal clear. Sometimes a bit of goodwill goes a long way.

As an aside to this, I have three romans in my kitchen, all made in the same fabric. I also made some at the same time for my neighbour from the same fabric, from the same roll. Mine look lovely still. Hers are crinkly and look a bit worse for wear (although she has not said so). The difference I think, is that her house is always steamy, with loads of washing hanging on airers and rads. The windows are always running with condensation. I can only assume that this has made the difference, as all the blinds were made with the same lining, method, etc. etc.

Good Luck.

Sue.

Comment

I made a roman blind for our bathroom approx 5-6 months ago and it has shrunk by about 5cms this was a jane churchill fabric so not cheap. the bathroom dosent really get that steamy just so glad it has happened to me and not a paying customer i am going to drop the fittings so it reaches the windowsill again and put a pelmet over the top to cover up where the fittings went arghhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!

Comment

Thanks all, It's really annoying isn't it.

Thanks Philip re: hemming, I must say that these were one of my first pairs of interlined curtains and as a result of using this (and 'the other') forum,I have picked up on this top tip already and now fold the interlining into the hem just as you described and I agree it does give a much better finish.

I think I'm getting a little bit curtain obsessed especially as most of my friends have my handywork somewhere in their houses now and I can't help but cast a critical eye when I visit especially when they have pulled curtains open and the buckram between pleats is poking forward AArghh!!! I pick up the hems in hotels too and have a peek, how sad am I!

Maybe I need hypnotherapy or something?
          Kim

Comment

You and every curtain maker of the forum, Kim.... Maybe you could arrange a discount for multiple bookings with your hypnotherapist, we could have a coach day out!
            Have you registered your business yet?

http://www.ukcurtainmakers.co.uk

A MyDecozo Directory

Comment

You can book me a place on that coach!
              Kindest Regards,
              Karen

Comment

By the time this client of mine makes up her mind, I'll need to come too!
                Jane

Comment

Me too, I've got people all over the place talking to me, I'm saying "that'll look good" a lot, but no-one's getting on with it and buying fabric and giving me money. I shall be so hassled just before Christmas, I know I will.
                  And the people who say "are you busy", and you say "fairly" as a hint to them to get in the queue, and, oh, I don't know why I'm bitching, must be the weather.

Comment

Working...
                  X