FR treatment warning

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FR treatment warning

I have recently had a large amount of eyelet curtains to complete. Over the course of a number of weeks I noticed that there seemed to be a rapid deterioration in the condition of my 40mm dyes with corrosion. i.e. rust! I sent the dyes back to Atwells who polished them back up for me but told me my workroom must be damp. NOT!
    The eyelets in curtains that were completed but stored for a couple of weeks before hanging also showed signs of corrosion and caused rust marks to appear on the cloth where they were folded on to one another.
    Anyway it appears that the chemicals in the cloth that was FR treated caused the corrosion. So a word of warning when using FR treated fabric. The chemicals they use are lethal. I left pins in the cloth over night and when I took them out they left rust marks behind where they had pierced the cloth.
    I now always spray my dyes with WD40 and leave them closed with a pad of cloth inbetween.
    Kindest Regards

Penny

Denton Drapes

Re: FR treatment warning

What an unpleasant experience.....I wonder if the FR treatment leaves some sort of acid residue to make the reaction so quick. I wonder what it might do to your skin? I guess there was no warning with the fabric that the FR treatment might cause any sort of reaction?

With hindsight this might be a situation to use plastic eyelets (if they are tough enough) although obviously that means you couldn't use your lovely eyelet press.
    Louise

sigpic Simply Sewing

Comment

Hi Penny,

What a disaster. How could anyone possibly know that would happen without the benefit of hindsight. Was the fabric pre-treated i.e. was it purchased as inherently FR or was it treated afterwards?

Just wondered as I have worked with FR a lot recently (not with eyelets) but have not had the rust problem with pins etc. Could the FR chemicals have left a slightly damp residue?

The eyelet heading is a popular one for shop changing rooms etc. and I assume all those fabrics must be FR. Can't imagine you're the only one who would have had this problem if that is the case.

Certainly a pitfall to look out for.

Sue.

Comment

I also have worked with FR fabric and not had a problem. Who treated the fabric or was it purchased FR'd? It does sound like a problem with this particular one, not FR's in general.
        Kind regards
        Pen Harrison
        Colly Brook Fine Furnishings

Comment

This is the first FR job i have done and there were 19 pairs of eyelet curtains.
          The cloth came from Globaltex and was sent to Euroflam for treatment. Not sure if it was dipped or sprayed. The cloth spent several weeks in my workroom on the roll before going out to be made then came back to me for eyeleting again the curtains would have hung over the racks in my workroom for a while before eyeleting.
          I did wear latex gloves when checking the rolls as the finish on the cloth made your fingers feel dirty.
          Just make sure you do not leave any fabric disks in the dyes or they will damage your dyes............
          Kindest Regards

Penny

Denton Drapes

Comment

It might be worth checking with Euroflam - I've used them with no problems.
            Kind regards
            Pen Harrison
            Colly Brook Fine Furnishings

Comment

I made FR treated curtains for a bar(before the smoking ban) and the chemicals did appalling things to my hands. As far as I remember, it's a form of ammonia and something else, I've obviously blocked it from my mind. My GP was distinctly unamused, as was I.

Comment

Working...
              X