Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Attaching Bullion Fringe

Hi all,

Hope you have had a good day. Seems I'm asking loads of questions lately - sorry!

I have a pair of curtains to make that have bullion fringe down the leading edge. I have never put bullion fringe down the leading edge of a curtain before.

So basically whats the best way of doing it?

Do I make the curtains up as usual and then attach it after, or do I form a little envelope in the leading edge of the curtain and s ew it in there? Also whats best hand or machine sew? There isn't much information in the Encylopedia unfortunately.

Thanks any advice appreciated.
    Kindest Regards,
    Karen

Re: Attaching Bullion Fringe

If the heading of the fringe is elegant, you want to see it, so I'd apply it to the finished leading edge. I'd also apply it by hand, because I find I have more control over the tension of braid things that way. If I was going to conceal the top of the bullion (or part of it),I'd be inclined to use a facing for the turnback. Fiddle, fiddle, either way, but fab effect when done. Huge fee for doing it. And so nice to be asked to do something different!

Comment

Hi Nic & everyone,

Would anyone care to divulge this huge fee cos I'm about to hopefully get pelmet & curtains with fringe & have no idea how much to charge
      Regards
      Mairi

Comment

Blimey. At least a width fee for leading edge bullion, and a good few quid onto your width fee for the bottom of a pelmet. Not really huge, but a nice addition for something that's interesting to do.

Comment

Unless I want to hide the top edge of the trim, in which case I would insert it into a fold in the fabric, so as to still have some fabric turning back onto the reverse side, I would glue the fringe on. Sometimes, particularly if the fringe is expensive, I would sew it on by hand. Either way, I have a charge per metre of trim.
          Kind regards
          Pen Harrison
          Colly Brook Fine Furnishings

Comment

Which glue to do you use Pen? Do you find it useful for other applications too?
            Louise

sigpic Simply Sewing

Comment

I've been using a fabric glue that I've bought from the States, but we've just started to stock Gutermann Texbond, which I've yet to try. I only really use glue on trimmings, but I tried Clark's suggestion for hot gluing velcro onto a pelmet, and that worked fine. So much quicker!
              Kind regards
              Pen Harrison
              Colly Brook Fine Furnishings

Comment

Could you let us know what you think of the Texbond when you've tried it?

Thanks.
                Louise

sigpic Simply Sewing

Comment

Thanks for your replies on this subject, am about to make the curtains tomorrow so will make a decision then as to what I think will look best, as the curtains are going with a pelmet and fringe heading isn't particularly pretty. I have glued trimmings on before and never had any problems (touch wood!).
                  Kindest Regards,
                  Karen

Comment

Working...
                  X