X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fullness - What do you think?

Hi All,

Hope you are keeping busy.

Quick question, I have to make some curtains pencil headed as there is a pelmet going over the top of them. I initially allowed x 2 fullness (as you do). However the building has now been completed and have re-visited the client and it turns out that these particular windows have absolutely no stackback what so ever - this has been changed as there was a little bit when I saw the plans.

Not an issue the only thing is I don't want to put to much fabric in the curtain for it to cover the window to much as the whole point of the entrance hall is the light. There is going to be tie backs involved so hopefully it will sweep the curtains out of the way slightly to allow the light to come in. However what I am thinking of doing is just allowing 1.5 widths per curtain instead of the 2 that I originally thought.

Calculation wise if I allow x2 fullness each window should have 1.7 widths in. I would normally round this up to 2, however on this occasion am thinking about rounding it down to 1.5. I don't want them to look to skimpy though. Personally I think I will be able to get away with this but wanted to check with my fellow virtual curtain makers!

What do you think. These curtains will be in an entrance hall and I am using highly patterned Rococoo fabric from voyage.
    Kindest Regards,
    Karen

Re: Fullness - What do you think?

Hi Karen,

I think that you could get away with it. Is the fabric thickish?? You say its an entrance, so its really for passing through and if the curtains are there to cover the window and not make an impact or visual statement, I think you will be fine.

Enid

Comment

Due to their position - do you think they will even be drawn closed very often? Assuming perhaps not, and there is to be a pelmet, then I think they will look fine when dressed behind the tieback.
      Louise

sigpic Simply Sewing

Comment

Wouldnt hurt to ask the client

Comment

Do you always allow 2 times the fullness? I allow 2.5 times the fullness on pencil pleat! Am I wrong?
          Yvonne

Comment

Originally posted by andsewondesigns
            Do you always allow 2 times the fullness? I allow 2.5 times the fullness on pencil pleat! Am I wrong?
            No, yvonne, you are not alone I always allow 2.5 fullness on pencil pleat, or if the client is on a budget, 2.25 fullness to maybe save a drop! When I was being taught I was told depending on the thickeness of the fabric specified 2.5 - 3 x fullness was to be calculated on pencil pleat. Personally I think 3x fullness is too much , but each to their own!

2.25 fullness on hand headed

Comment

Thanks all for your comments. I have put 1.5 in each curtain. Louise it is just an entrance hallway so will only be walked through and yes spoke with the client, who barely plans to use them anyway!

When I was trained I was told to do x 2 fullness. Oh there are so many different ways of doing things!
              Kindest Regards,
              Karen

Comment

I would use 2.5 times fullness. When pulled up, the pencil pleats should be next to each other. Any less fullness, and it is difficult to spread the fullness evenly, so you get different sized gaps between the pleats. However, there are many different ways to do things for many different reasons!
                Kind regards
                Pen Harrison
                Colly Brook Fine Furnishings

Comment

Working...
                X