sewing triple pleat

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• sewing triple pleat

This is the first pair of curtains I have made with pinch pleats using buckram, so excuse the newbie Q.

I have machine stitched the single pleat, and to the stage of forming the triple pleat by hand stiching the base of the pleat.

This is the part I am not sure on, do you;
    1) stab stitch through the fabric, right to left, then bring the thread over the front of the pleat, then repeat stab stitch through right to left and so on
    or 2) stab stich right to left, then stab stitch back left to right and so on, so the thread does not show at the front?

cheers

Re: sewing triple pleat

You stab stitch through the fabric as you describe in item 2 - you do not have thread showing at the front of the pleat. The stitch does not have to be very long, place it just below the buckram to get a tight finish but not right on the edge otherwise the sharp straight edge will show through.
    Louise

sigpic Simply Sewing

Comment

thanks for the confirmation of the one I was swaying towards - some places I was looking seem to imply the 1st. But then I thought you go to such effort to hand stich sides & hem NOT to show any thread on the face, that it did not make sense to show thread on a focal point of the curtains.

btw, how many times through is usually enough?

Comment

Hi On track...

Did you decide to start the NDA course? If so, how is it going?

Just stitch a few times until you're happy the pleat is secure..
        Have you registered your business yet?

http://www.ukcurtainmakers.co.uk

A MyDecozo Directory

Comment

thanks - I have just enrolled and waiting for the stuff to arrive - just being impatient and trying to finish these off before the instructions arrive. (I know a bit backwards approach, but I have tended to try and do/use something before looking at the instructional manual )

Comment

Good! let us know how you get on and feel free to use the forum and ask for help and advice as you need it..

Philip
            Have you registered your business yet?

http://www.ukcurtainmakers.co.uk

A MyDecozo Directory

Comment

Working...
            X