Tight Join

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tight Join

I need a bit of advise. I have today hung a pair of curtains - Pencil Pleat in a little boys room. I have just (yes just) had the lady on the phone asking if I would go back and have a look at them as the join on them is baggy! I knew this one would come back and bite me on the bum, why don't I listen to my instincts?????

Anyway, client supplied own very cheap fabric! I joined the two widths and the selvedge is soooo tight on one side. I cut away the selvedge to try and free it a little bit, but couldn't cut to much away as it is a check pattern and I would have lost alot of the square. I put weights in the joins and I was hoping that over time the weight of them would pull it out. However I don't think this is going to happen.

Can anyone give me any help as to what I can do or what I can suggest. I think to be honest they will have to come back to the workshop as I am not messing about with them on site.
    Kindest Regards,
    Karen

Re: Tight Join

Oh gawwd! I hate things like this !

If it were me, and it wasnt too much of a problem, I'd opt for loosing a check and move onto the next hortizontal repeat. I cant see how you'll remedy this otherwise.

Any consolation , I've been restringing roman blinds today cos the strings snapped , I should have listened to my instincts at the time too as the cord delivered was too thin ( the companies error) but rather than wait for the re delivery, I used it ,,,, much to my peril , a wasted afternoon doh

Comment

Thanks Tam. What a nightmare for us both! I suppose you have to go through these things when you do it all the time!

Why I didn't question this at the time of making them I will never no! Its one of those jobs that the lady was really really desperate for so I fitted it in amongst all the other 100's of orders that I have waiting to be done, now it needs extra attention. D'OH!
      Kindest Regards,
      Karen

Comment

Actually Tam, thinking about it, if I was to do this I would be cutting approx 30cm out of each curtain, because of the pattern, do you think this would be ok?
        Kindest Regards,
        Karen

Comment

I was hoping you were going to say the horizontal repeat was smaller than that! Are they pencil pleat or pinch pleat heading?

I really cant see how you can do anything other than moving over to the next horizontal repeat, I hope someone can give another option if this is going to caused you even more stress and problems?

Can you not make small snips in whats left of the selvege before undoing your work and see if by releasing the selvege tension, it makes it sit flatter on the join?

Comment

Thanks Tam. Unfortunately the check pattern is alternative yellow blue and green so thats why the pattern repeat turns out so big. They are Pencil pleat which is a little bit of a saviour. I have this horrible feeling that I have already snipped the selvedge to see if I could get it lay flatter, however I may be wrong. I am about to go and pick the curtains back up and bring them back here and put them on the table for surgery! Do you think perhaps another weight would help? Who is to say one is standard???!!!!

I was hoping someone else had some ideas to - so please if you have I would greatly appreciate it.
            Kindest Regards,
            Karen

Comment

Sorry, Karen, I don't have another idea.

A b....y good press might help on the seam but that might shrink it if its inexpensive fabric , being polite there. I have to agree with [email protected] ....there is nothing much to do. Another weight won't help , methinks you will have to go into the next PR regardless.

Checks are always a pain for that very reason and cheap checks are even worse

Enid

Comment

At the risk of saying the wrong thing.....would you be able to discuss the quality of fabric, the tightness of selvedge and the choices around loss of width with the client? Can't help feeling that if it's the fabric causing the problem and you didn't supply it, the client has to take some ownership of the problem & you can only do so much with what you've got and be responsible for so much. Good luck.
                Jane

Comment

Very valid point, Jane.

Well worth trying, maybe the client will see the advantages in buying better quality fabric in future.

Enid

Comment

Evening All,

Thanks for the replies and thanks for trying to think of other ways of dealing with the prob. However I think my problem is just bigger than a tight selvedge. I have picked the curtains up this morning, and my client was also saying that the curtains are slightly different lengths - well I know what I am like with my measuring and I was thinking there is absolutely no way they would have gone out different lengths (but then I did doubt myself, like you do).

I have put them on the surgical table this afternoon and yes it works out that if you keep the pattern lined up one curtain is aobut 1.5 cm shorter than the other - so how does this work out???? The lady wants them the same size - understandable and she wants the checks to line up - understandable.

However I have about 1m of fabric left, which I led out on the table and guess what across the horizontal pattern it is out by 1.5cm! I think (unless anyone can tell me otherwise) that it is going to be an impossibility to have them exactly the same length with the horizontal lines matching exactly due to the pattern being 1.5cm out!

Yes this was an inexpensive fabric and I don't see any other way of getting around this problem, other than speaking to the client about it and explaining exactly what I have found. The side that is also out is the side with the tight selvedge - which of course doesn't help at all. The selvedge is pulling up and the pattern vears off downwards.

I only hope that she doesn't say to me, surely you should have check before you cut it????? I didn't supply the fabric and did explain that the place that she bought it from is a cheaper end of line / seconds place even before she bought the fabric from them? Where do you think I stand with this?
                    Kindest Regards,
                    Karen

Comment

Oh yuck, what a horrid problem. I would still say that as she supplied the fabric (and especially as you'd already warned her about where she was buying it from), any faults in it are really her problem not yours. She should really have checked the fabric when she bought it but it's doubtful she'd have been able to tell from looking that the pattern was out.

I think I'd suggest you make them the same length and pattern match as best you can. You can only do so much with what's been supplied.

I had a similar problem recently with a printed fabric that wasn't printed straight - like yours it veered by about 1.5cm. I explained the problem to the client and explained that she could either have straight curtains or straight pattern. We agreed on straight curtains (so they hang right) & unstraight pattern. Once the curtains were up, with all the folds, the pattern not being straight didn't actually show.

Good luck.
                      Jane

Comment

Karen,

I think that you have answered yourself. Speak to your customer and show her exactly what you have found....use the bit that is over as an example. I think that she can either have the curtains the same length OR match the checks but its quite clear that she cannot have both .....the same length would look better and as they are pencil pleat perhaps the 'oddness' would be less noticeable within the gathers. They will always annoy her, but it is a problem associated with check fabrics, maybe that was the reason that the stuff was in the ' warehouse' for sale anyway. Quite a few of theses places get roll ends and as you say seconds to sell......silk purse and sow's ear comes to mind. In the long run you have made the curtains with the fabric provided and thats all you are required to do. Sounds a bit harsh, but sometimes theses 'squeezed' in jobs are just nothing but trouble.

Good luck, she may have more windows to do!!

Enid

Comment

Hi Karen,
                          I agree with Enid, the customer supplied the fabric and although she could expect you to check it for noticable flaws, it would be unreasonable for you to measure every inch to check pattern repeats. I would always measure the finished length on each curtain, rather than go with the pattern repeat, so you may have spotted it then, so that at that point she could have made the decision re same length/pattern match. I think you have to go with the same length - hope this helps.
                          Kind regards
                          Pen Harrison
                          Colly Brook Fine Furnishings

Comment

Absolutely agree - curtains must be the same length. If you can, hide the non-matching pattern at the top so it us 'lost' once the pencil pleat is drawn up.

I shortened some check curtains bought from a well known dept store which the customer had tried to do herself (following the pattern) and were decidedly wonky. Guess what - the check pattern was all over the place! We agreed to make the bottom look as straight as possible, make the curtains the same drop and put up with the undulating horizontal lines at the top in the heading.
                            Louise

sigpic Simply Sewing

Comment

How long will it take you to resolve this mater, more than the time already spent making up the curtains - would be my guess. As you are so busy, what about relaying info as discussed on the board and offering a refund, for goodwill; saying that nothing can be done with this fabric.

Comment

Working...
                              X