Bonded inter/lining? No thanks!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bonded inter/lining? No thanks!

Unfortunately I hadn't read all the posts about bonded interlining before investing in sufficient for 2 and a half pairs of full length curtains and four Roman Blinds

It's clinging to some parts of the one curtain I have made so far, and not others, and it's like working with cardboard, but I'll have to finish as the first pair is for a friend. I may set my consignment of the bonded stuff aside for future Roman Blinds and buy the proper interlining and lining for mine but I do feel bad about it as hers won't have the same feel as mine, although her face fabric is a lot lighter than mine.

Oh dear

<hanging head sadly>
    Sam
    </hanging head sadly>
    Best wishes
    Samantha

Re: Bonded inter/lining? No thanks!

Unfortunately you live and learn doing this, everyone makes mistakes and doesn't choose the right materials at the right time, the pitfalls are vast in this job!
    All you can do is take it on board and move on, is there any chance you can unpick and remake using interlining and lining in the one pair you have on the way?

Comment

As Dollymix says, you live and learn. What a shame but its experience and the bonded stuff is good for romans. As you have only made one curtain, why don't you show your friend and explain why you are not happy. I think I would and if she is a good friend she will appreciate your honesty. This is often the best way with customers as well. If her fabric is a lot lighter, and I presume you mean weightwise, then you could use the napped or raised lining. M and Day sell the napped one, it will give body to hers without going to the bother of interlining them. You just make it as normal lining. Expense, I appreciate, but its a friend.
      Enid

Comment

I did think about talking to her about it, but she might not ever notice if I didn't, and if I did talk to her and she decided to live with it she might regret it later. It's tricky. I think I might ask her if she can pop round and check the one curtain before I make the second on Saturday. She's moving into her new flat on Sunday so time is of the essence

Also, I'm not sure re-making is an option. I really did undercharge her and if I remake them I ought to pay for the materials as it was my suggestion to use the bonded stuff. I'll end up doing it all for practically nothing. Oh dear

Thanks for your input though - much appreciated.

Sam
        Best wishes
        Samantha

Comment

Update - I called Val and explained that I wanted her to have a look at the one I have done because the bonded lining wasn't behaving or feeling the same way that separate inter-lining and lining would and she straightaway said "Is it something that I or my friends wouldn't notice, but you would because you are looking at it with a critical eye?" so she seemed quite relaxed about it. I told her that I wanted her to have a look before I did the second one - so she's coming round tomorrow evening after work - fingers crossed that she's happy with it!

Sam
          Best wishes
          Samantha

Comment

Good luck Sam, we've all been there!

Comment

Thanks Dollymix - I need it

Sam
              Best wishes
              Samantha

Comment

Update - so relieved! Val came round on Friday to look at the one curtain and declared it fine and was that all I her dragged across town for! I cracked on with the other curtain on Saturday and met her at 07:30 at her new flat on Sunday morning. However, instead of having a couple hours to finish and dress the curtains we had to leave quickly as the moving van had arrived at the old flat and I wouldn't be able to get my car out of her garage. Grrr!

So, I had to leave them hanging, but unpressed or steamed, with the threads on the heading tape still hanging as I hadn't wanted to tie them off in case I had to take them off as I had made them to her measurements. Another crack of dawn trip next Sunday - all a bit disappointing really and I won't be happy until they are properly finished.

Onwards and upwards!
                Sam
                Best wishes
                Samantha

Comment

Working...
                X