Twisted lining fabric

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Twisted lining fabric

I have just bought 45 metres of sateen curtain lining from my usual supplier to line some curtains I have to make with a 84" drop, but when I came to cut the linings for my curtains the lining fabric is quite twisted. To begin I usually rip the lining across to get the weft line and then measure down from there. However when I did this with my lining fabric today it was like a dogs back leg (as my MIL used to say)!

Can anyone advise me whether or not to continue to use this lining or take it back? the 'twist' throws the weft out by about 3.5 inches/9 cm from selvedge to selvedge.

thanks Susan

Re: Twisted lining fabric

If you havn't cut into it I would be tempted to complain. I have just had a similar problem. I bought my usual lining from my usual supplier, (it was on offer, and they were out of stock for ages) then it turned up. I was so desperate I cut into it straight away, then found it seemed twisted. It was too late, I had several pairs of curtains running late and had to make do. Fortunately the curtains I have made with it appear OK, but I don't think I will use if for Romans.

I buy the top of the range lining and not only was it slightly twisted, but it had random black marks along the length which I had to cut out of it. So much for it being on offer!

Sue.

Comment

Sue was this lining from Evans by any chance? Platinum range guaranteed to leave the work room crease free? I had a batch recently full of black marks. The twisting is probably due to it be rolled wrongly and stretched as it's rolled. I'd send it back, I had lining and interlining issues recently and wasted £'s

Philip
      Have you registered your business yet?

http://www.ukcurtainmakers.co.uk

A MyDecozo Directory

Comment

Hi Philip,

Yes it was from Evans now you mention it. I should have sent it back, but I was desperate - it took them 2 weeks to send me one bale of lining. Its nearly gone now anyway.

Sue.

Comment

Thanks for replying. I did use some of the lining, as I thought what the heck I need to be able to learn from this situation and as the curtains are for me and not a customer I can afford to be cavalier about it. I will get to hang them next week and let you know what happens.

Philip is right about it being incorrectly rolled, as I noticed as I unrolled it that the selvedges were straight but the centre fabric was 'looser'.

Cheers

Susan

Comment

I've had so many problems with Evans lately, I had decided not to use them anymore. Their delivery is shocking!
            Kindest Regards,
            Karen

Comment

Thats why Im ordering from Edmund Bell now. I can bet my bottom dollar they's beat evans prices anyday ( only if you know your competitors pricing and talk to your rep )

Comment

Morning Tam,

Thats who I'm using now too, I find them fantastic!
                Kindest Regards,
                Karen

Comment

Hi
                  We also use Edmund Bell for all our linings/interlinings and they are superb
                  Cheers
                  Clark

Comment

Yes, I also now use Edmund Bell for most of my linings and interlinings. Their delivery seems to be next day as standard and they are better prices than Evans IF you speak to your rep!

Sue.

Comment

Sounds like I need to use Edmund Bell too. I'll go and look them up on the internet.

Susan

Comment

Working...
                      X