Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• More 3 pass woes!

HI all,

I made 2 pairs of sill length curtains lined in 3pass last week. As in my previous post on the subject, I had a lot of trouble sewing the blackout and then again sewing it to the fabric (I bag lined them). Very glad when they were finished!!

I hung them on Friday and couldn't get the leading and outside edges to hang straight - it was as if the lining was twisting, although it doesn't look twisted. The customers weren't bothered about this but I wasn't too happy with it. It may settle down but I suspect I may have to revisit these curtains!

Has anyone else come across this? I'm assuming that it's because I machined the linings to the fabric and that the lining has stretched or something. I'm using one of the Supersoft 3pass linings from Evans (the slightly more expensive of the 2) so the quality should be ok. I have 3 more pairs of blackout curtains to make in the next couple of months and want to avoid this happening again. So what I'm thinking for the next (full length) pair is to do a double 4cm fold on the leading and outside edges of the curtains, and take the blackout right into the fold to the edge of the curtain then hand sew the fabric over the lining. And if that doesn't work I'm giving up curtain making and going down the mines!!!

Anyone got any helpful tips?

Cheers
    Sue

Re: More 3 pass woes!

Sometime ago I made B/O lined curtains using the method stated below and it works very well. Sorry but I no longer have a picture. Always use a quality B/O lining and don't be tempted to skimp and use the cheaper rubbery type - I also only use a single hem rather than double, it isn't going to fray and it cuts down on bulk.

I've just made a pair of B/O lined curtains and folded the sides like you would a hem, this means I get the B/O fabric all the way to the sides and by folding the B/O in with the turn, I also get a thicker look to the leading edge.

And, and and.. To really shock you, I've used a single 2 inch hem on the 3 pass lining to prevent the fabric rolling.. It isn't going to fray.. Why not?

I am happy with the false mitre and the finish produced. We need to try new things in order to move forward in a competative market - Speed and quality is my word for 2008..
    Have you registered your business yet?

http://www.ukcurtainmakers.co.uk

A MyDecozo Directory

Comment

I think it is something to do with the stiffness of the blackout lining. I use the Evans Supersoft and agree it is about the best one. When I make blackout curtains I normally hand sew the linings in and cannot remember having a problem with sticky out corners. Are they weighted and mitred? Agree with Philip, I only use a single hem too.

Sue.

Comment

I also use Evans supersoft and it's hangs like a dream.
        Have you registered your business yet?

http://www.ukcurtainmakers.co.uk

A MyDecozo Directory

Comment

I think it's to do with machining two very different types of fabric together. I would always stitch this by hand (although I avoid b/o like the plague!)
          Kind regards
          Pen Harrison
          Colly Brook Fine Furnishings

Comment

i know this sounds daft but what exactly is 3 pass is it fabric, blackout linning and linning and if you added interlinning is that 4 pass would herringbone stitch work at the edge blackout to fabric or even stab stiching esther

Comment

Hi Esther,
              3 pass is a lining that is treated to be blackout with 3 coats of acrylic. It's nothing to do with the number of layers of fabrics you use. I would only use herringbone stitch if it is to be covered by something else.

Philip, perhaps blackout is something that should be added to the glossary - I had a quick look but couldn't find it.
              Kind regards
              Pen Harrison
              Colly Brook Fine Furnishings

Comment

thanks curtainmaker is your name pen thanks anyway esther

Comment

Hi there

I have never bagged lined curtains before - but have had black out lining twist on me, I was able to sort it out because I hand sewed it in at the sides and eased it across to the other side.

I can imagine if you bagged lined it, you would have no idea it was twisted until you finish - For me I assume it was because of the quality of the lining itself, very fustrating though.

All I can say is your best bet would be to hand sew it in.

Good luck Sue

Evans Supersoft is lovely to work with.
                  K W Designs
                  Bournemouth

Comment

The best results I have for bag lined blackout drapes, is to make up the regular curtain first with normal lining, turn right sides out, then literally drop the blackout between the layers, edge to edge.

I use a 'white on white' which does not need hemming, so it sits nicely where you choose to cut it acroos at the bottom. It is then held in place at the top when the heading tape is sewn on. They hang well, as the stiffness of the blackout keeps the edges from rolling so much.

Also, I never gather the tape to the edges of the drape, I always leave about 7cms on 'flatness' at outer edges.
                    Sue Hazell Cert Ed. PCE

Comment

Working...
                    X