dress curtains

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• dress curtains

My mother has three windows in her lounge. Two of the windows are approx 245cm wide by 140 long and she wants curtains that will close but the other window is 440cm wide by 208 long and she just wants dress curtains (all curtains will be lined with pencil pleat heading).

How many widths would you put in the curtains for the big window? The smaller 2 windows will have 4 to 5 widths per pair so I thought I'd do put the same in the dress curtains (they'd need 8 widths if they were to close). Just want to make sure they didn't look skimpy

Cheers
    Jane

Re: Dress curtains....how many widths?

Hi,
    I would normally put 1 1/2 widths in dress curtains, but you could put two in to match the others - this is a choice that is often down to cost (of the fabrics), I think.
    Regards
    Pen
    Kind regards
    Pen Harrison
    Colly Brook Fine Furnishings

Comment

On such a big window I'd use two widths, unless it's a heavy fabric, in which case you might get away with 11/2. But no good spoiling the ship for a haporth of tar!

Comment

I'd also opt for a minimum of 2 widths for dress curtains on a window that size.

On these ones in the photo, I used 2 widths .[attachment=1:2inolqhm]6.jpg[/attachment:2inolqhm][attachment=0:2inolqhm]17.jpg[/attachment:2inolqhm]

Comment

Oh T, what a beautiful window dressing.

I'd been thinking 2 widths per curtain - thanks everyone for the reassurance. Now all I've got to do is work out how I can make them for her without us falling out
          Jane

Comment

If it's not one thing, it's your mother.

Comment

What a lovely window Tam.. Did you make those curtains? They are very nice.. But I have to ask... Do those radiators keep the room warm?
              Have you registered your business yet?

http://www.ukcurtainmakers.co.uk

A MyDecozo Directory

Comment

Hi Pip, and yes I did make those curtains and blinds ( the blinds are not fully up as the client wanted them left lower), another co ordinating roman blind in the dressing room and another in the bathroom :P

As for the radiators, I have no idea lol, its was a blooming hot day and as you can see the windows were open, I sweated buckets that day putting them up

Sorry to hijack your thread Jane

Hope you find a solution to the mother problem, sometimes they can be out harshest critics

Comment

Jane Hello

I would also go for 2 widths, i think anything smaller would not look right. What great size windows. Jane i hope you dont mind me also mentioning [email protected]
                  on you post.Those curtains and blinds look lovely and i like the bead trim finishes it all of beautifully.

Regards Irene

Comment

Morning Tam
                    I love your dress curtains and roman blinds they look beautiful. The trim just finishes it off perfectly.
                    I expect your client was delighted with them.
                    Kindest Regards

Penny

Denton Drapes

Comment

dress curtains

I have a customer who wants swags (5) and tails to dress a large box window. He only wants dress curtains to frame the window but he wants them to look as though they will close. I know for a fact that 1.5 widths per curtains won't work. Whats your rule of thumb on this. Should I make one drop less per curtain than would be required for working curtains at 2 1/4 fullness? I would be interested in others comments. The fabric will be interlined. Thanks
                      Karen Rhodes
                      Karen Rhodes Design
                      Pole Design

Comment

Dress curtains

I've been asked to make a pair of dress curtains with triple pleat heading (in LA Heligan ) The pole is 360cm. Customer wants them to take up about 60-70cm at each end of the pole. I don't want to make them too full & "loose" the pleats when they're pulled back - equally I don't want to make them look skimpy (I'm used to making "proper" curtains that get used!) So I was thinking 2 widths per curtain - would that be enough or should I go to 2.5w per curtain?
                        Jane

Comment

Re: Dress curtains

I think you will get away with 2widths per side as this will be more than 2.25 x fullness over 2/3's of pole...does that make sense...
                          Regards
                          Mairi

Comment

Thanks Phlip - I did a search on dress curtains but it didn't bring that thread up
                            Jane

Comment

I've merged the two threads making one topic now. Search within the forum your question is relevant to - this will then only search within that forum and not the entire site. The search box at the top right hand corner is for searching the entire site and also has advanced search options.

I have posted this thread today: Dress curtains & non-working curtains

Philip
                              Have you registered your business yet?

http://www.ukcurtainmakers.co.uk

A MyDecozo Directory

Comment

Working...
                              X