Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help! 3Pass sewing problems

Hi all,

I have a few pairs of curtains lined with blackout to make. I am having terrible problems trying to join widths together! If I put it through my industrial lockstitch machine, it seems to gather the bottom layer - no mater what I do to the tension - plus the feed dogs chew the fabric up and remove bits of the coating. So I then got out my domestic machine - no chewing of the fabric but I'm still getting the gathering effect on the bottom layer.

I've used 3pass before so thought this would be easy! But it just occurred to me that I've only ever used 3pass in Romans so have never actually tried to seam 2 bits together before...

Anyone got any tips on how to get a nice flat seam with the rubber coating still left on the fabric?! This looks like another "easy" job that is going to take twice as long as it should, grrr!

Thank you!
    Sue

Re: Help! 3Pass sewing problems

Hiya,
    I use a teflon foot. they are about £3.50 on ebay.
    sharon

Comment

I engage the top feed on my (domestic) machine which makes sure both layers are fed at the same speed through the machine. You can get a walking foot for most machines I think.

In the the short term, if the fabric sticking underneath the foot seems to be the main problem, cut some strips of tissue or greaseproof paper and put them between the lining and the foot. Stitch your seams then tear away the paper.
      Louise

sigpic Simply Sewing

Comment

Thank you both! I did some more fiddling and I have actually managed to get a fairly decent result by manually adjusting the pressure on my domestic machine - phew! (I need to get 2 pairs finished today!)

I'll definitely investigate the teflon foot or walking foot option for the future though.

Thanks again
        Sue

Comment

Glad you got it sorted Sue.....

Comment

Hi Sue

Try dropping your lower teeth and reduce the pressure on the foot by turning the screw knob at the top - This should sort out the problem.

Philip
            Have you registered your business yet?

http://www.ukcurtainmakers.co.uk

A MyDecozo Directory

Comment

Hi Sue,

I have had this problem in the past, but only randomly, and think it is not all 3-pass that does this. I stick to the Evans Supersoft and don't have this problem with this one.

Glad you got it sorted, something always goes wrong when there's a tight deadline, doesn't it?

Sue.

Comment

Working...
              X