Flat curtains...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Flat curtains...

I've been asked to make a customer some curtains in the design from page 37 of M&D's Encyclopaedia Of Curtains (didn't think I should post a picture but I'm sure lots of you have the book).

The book says they use twice the width of the window for the fabric and that the rings are hand stitched onto the back. I think the basic construction is the same as for triple pleats ie buckram between the fabric & lining but what I can't tell from the picture is whether the "pleats" are stitched in any way?

I can't find any instructions for this style in the instruction section of the book so can anyone give me any more tips about how they are made? And how to calculate the positions of the rings ?
    Jane

Re: Flat curtains...

I think it might be what they call pin hook headings in the other book - Blinds, Curtains & Cushions p111. You make the flat heading like for triple pleat but mark the pleats with pin hooks. Then put 2 hooks in each ring on the pole to hold the fold in place. Let me know if you want the paragraph from the book......
    Louise

sigpic Simply Sewing

Comment

I agree with Louise

I would calculate the spaces same as you would with buckram headed curtains 2 1/4 fullness.

Another heading is Tete a Versailles. It is made similar and is a cartridge type pleat. Make curtains the same as you would for triple/goblets but omit the shaping of pleat. In other words make the machine line and leave it at that.
      Karen Rhodes
      Karen Rhodes Design
      Pole Design

Comment

I think the customer wants the curtains to lay almost flat when closed rather than having actual pleats stitched in place. Think perhaps I'll have fiddle with a mock up later.

I don't have that book Louise - perhaps you could let me have the paragraph? (or lend me the book)

Thanks
        Jane

Comment

Will email you the section (it is tiny!)......
          Louise

sigpic Simply Sewing

Comment

Thanks for the email - that is tiny! Think I understand what they mean but I'm not sure it's what she wants - think she wants something flatter although when they're drawn, I suspect she'll be disappointed with them if they're too flat. She is the most incredibly indecisive customer and I really want to bring this job to a conclusion. Thought I'd ring M&D tomorrow and see if someone n the workroom can explain it to me
            Jane

Comment

I would suggest the curtains in the book maintain those folds as they are drawn and do not pull flat - If this curtain was to pull flat they would require dressing into the folds when in stackback. From your description it sounds like a tab top curtain without the tabs and little fullness.

Philip
              Have you registered your business yet?

http://www.ukcurtainmakers.co.uk

A MyDecozo Directory

Comment

I recently made pinhook headed curtains for my client who wanted the least fullness / flat as possible curtains. I made these with less than double width, probably 1.75. They were pleated to pattern. Putting 2 hooks in one ring will always form a pleat. I placed interlining & buckram in the heading space then decided where my hooks would go, then stabbed stiched them in place. The stab stitching will hold the whole construction in place. I hope this is helpful. I do not have picture of curtains drawn closed but will try & get one (client on holiday at moment). From memory the curtains are almost flat when drawn shut... I think I only used about 12cm in each pleat ...hope this helps..
                [attachment=0:1t458p42]pin2 Curtains.jpg[/attachment:1t458p42]
                Regards
                Mairi

Comment

Hi Mairi

I am just about to make three pairs of wave pleated curtains. I was going to use rufflette tempo tape, but cant see the point of using it if I can get a result as good as this using hooks. Just a couple of questions:

1. Did you use stab hooks, stabbing them into the buckram and interlining, then stab stitching right through to the main fabric? Did you stab stitch each hook individually, or two together, so that the pleat would be in place even if the curtains were removed from the hooks?
                  2. How did you finish the top of the curtains? Did you do a turn down of main fabric, or did you join the lining to the fabric right at the top of the curtain?

Any tips greatly appreciated as I have only done one pair of wave pleats before, using tape, and they didnt turn out very well!
                  Gail

Comment

Hi
                    Penny has a excellent example on her website/blog.

Comment

Hi Gail,
                      When I make pin hook headings,I place the buckrum at the top of the curtain with the excess length of fabric folded over it, then bring the curtain lining up to within a cm of the top edge and slipstitch in place. I then place the pin hooks through the lining & buckrum. Putting 2 pinhooks through one ring forms the pleat. I don't stab stitch the heading. I interlock the lining & interlining up to the buckrum so my curtain layers are all held firmly together illiminating the need to stab stich.
                      Regards
                      Mairi

Comment

I think I would be inclined to use the sew on curtain hooks rather than pin-hooks, I'm always worried the pins will tear the lining or come through to the front, as I noticed when I was viewing a showhome recently. I love this heading and will be using it in my own dining room.
                        Cheers
                        Sue.

Comment

Thanks for all the tips, I am going to do a couple of mock ups using the different techniques before I decide on the final one.
                          Gail

Comment

Working...
                          X