making interlined curtains

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• making interlined curtains

I seem to be having a problem when making interlined curtains i find that when i take my interlining into the hem and then stitch the hem taking a stitch right through to the face fabric every few centimetres and then put on the heading i find that the face fabric is sagging at just above the hem . Is this the weight of he interlining pulling everything down i sometimes find leaving the interlining loose is a more favourable way of doing it as then the interlining has a bit of room to drop i cant seem to make my mind up which way to do it HELP IAM LOSING THE WILL TO LIVE!!!!!!!!!!!

Re: making nterlined curtains

Just me again not really losing will to live i have got too much to do !!!

Comment

Re: making nterlined curtains

Hi Ali

Your problem is simply due to your sewing through in to the main fabric - Fold your hems as usual and sew only in to the interlining and the hem and never go into the front fabric. I'm a recent convert to herringbone stitch and it's works wonderfully!

Philip
      Have you registered your business yet?

http://www.ukcurtainmakers.co.uk

A MyDecozo Directory

Comment

Re: making interlined curtains

We also don't catch the front when keeping the interlining and face fabric as one. Many people in the U.S. keep the interlining free, but then "pad" their hems with interlining, and it seems like an extra step when they could just fold them up together. My mom and I also just tried the herringbone stitch on our bottom hems on some heavy velvet, and the "elasticity" of the stitch really improves the look of the hem from the front. We are also converted!

Liz

Comment

I was taught to do herringbone stitch on the hem of interlined curtains. They said also that only a single turn is needed not a double hem....do you use single or double, thanks sharon

Comment

Personally it depends on the fabric. If it s a heavy velvet then I only allow a single hem. If its a thinner fabric, then I do a double hem ,taking the interlining to the second crease line, both single and double hems are herringboned stitched.

If I do make up curtains in velvet I also use a velvet mitre to cut down on bulk and rolling of the fabric at the corners.

Comment

I'm with Tam, double or single hem for both lined and interlined depending on the fabric thickness.

Philip
              Have you registered your business yet?

http://www.ukcurtainmakers.co.uk

A MyDecozo Directory

Comment

Working...
              X