Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Alterations to heading

Hi all,

I have been asked to change the heading on a pair of full length curtains; the customer would like them changed from pencil pleat to double pleat. They are only a few months old and she loves the fabric but wanted pinch pleats, yet the curtain maker made them pencil pleat (why?!) so she has never been happy with them (and doesn't want to return to the original curtain maker.)

There is plenty of fabric in the curtains so there is enough to pleat, my only concern is that there won't be sufficient fabric to turn over at the top to insert the buckram. I have been thinking of adding on a strip of stiff lining (the kind I normally use for Romans) to the top of the curtains for a turnover and sandwich the buckram between that and the face fabric, then slip stitching the current lining over that. I know that this is not an idea solution but the woman is very keen for me to do something to improve these. I have explained that this will require some additions and that the headings won't look too great from the back and she is totally happy with that so long as the curtains look better from the front.

Just wondered if anyone had any thoughts about this? I'm sure some of you might say "don't touch this job with a bargepole" but I would like to help this woman as she hasn't had the best service from the other curtain maker. I can't think why the method I'm thinking of won't work but perhaps there is a good reason why it won't, or some of you might have better ideas!

Thanks, Sue

Re: Alterations to heading

Have you got enough fabric at the top to machine the buckram in, roll it over and bring the lining up as far as it will go?

these jobs are almost always more trouble than they are worth, but sometimes one just does it .....maybe you will get more work in future from the customer.

Enid

Comment

Hi Sue,
      This is how i would do it............
      Take off 3" heading tape.
      Turn curtain inside out, ie have right sides together.
      Line up the crease lines on the fabric and lining.
      Pin and sew a line of stitching along the crease line.
      Place your buckram next to the stitching line and stitch near the edge of the buckram in the seam allowance.
      Turn the curtain to the right side, mark and sew pleats.
      i use this method a lot, especiall if the fabric is thick, it helpf to cut down on bulk.
      sharon

Comment

That sounds like a a nice neat, 'tight' solution that would give a good finish on the back of the curtain too. Heaven forbid the lining doesn't run to the top of the curtain..........
        Louise

sigpic Simply Sewing

Comment

well i am taking that for granted louise ha ha....

Comment

Thanks for your replies! I think Sharon's method sounds fab and REALLY hope that there is enough lining in these curtains to do that - I always cut my lining off at the crease line, hopefully this curtain maker hasn't done that! If so, then it'll be back to my Plan A which should work ok, but isn't as snazzy as Sharon's method.

Anyway, all will be revealed when I remove the heading tape (I'm doing this job mid July) - I'll report back!

Thanks again
            Sue

Comment

Hi all,

Well I did this job yesterday and I'm delighted to say that there was enough lining in the turnover so Sharon's method worked a treat! And the customer was absolutely delighted, so much so that she has 3 more pairs that she'd like me to alter! But as they have all been made by the same curtain maker, at least I know what to expect now so they should be quite straightforward.

Thank you all- as always - for your invaluable input!
              Sue

Comment

I love happy endings.......glad it worked out Sue, and you got more work too........
                thanks for letting us know the outcome.
                sharon

Comment

Working...
                X