cotton blackout?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• cotton blackout?

I have been making curtains for too many years to count but still have questions!

I hate using blackout ining as it is so bulky, have been using Bell's venus dimout in a layer between interlining and lining, but I am still not happy

I would like to use a layer of black cotton (as colefax do I think) as a dimout in addition to interlining, does anyone else do this?

If so, I wonder what cotton to use, I have found a heavy Silesia at Whaleys which may do, but wonder if there is anything cheaper.

Many Thanks

Gill

Re: cotton blackout?

What about bolton twill? Merrick and Day sell it as I'm sure many others too.
    Sue

Comment

Hi Gill

I often use a loose layer of supersoft blackout lining in between the interlining and lining - I don't join the B/O lining, I overlay 5cm and I do not hem the B/O either, but I do cut with a rotary cutter.

Philip
      Have you registered your business yet?

http://www.ukcurtainmakers.co.uk

A MyDecozo Directory

Comment

Thanks Philip, we do a simliar thing but as our curtains are usually interlined we can just tuck it inside the side and bottom hems. My issue is using something so synthetic when the rest of the curtain is pretty much natural fabric. Ive found something called black silesia at Evans so I will get a sample and try thet. Thanks for the reply . Amazing to still get stumped after 30 years!
        Gill

Comment

ahaaaa! Bolton twill, that looks good! I will get a sample and try and find it cheaper elshwhere-Thanks Bonnieblue

Comment

Philip when you say that you don't join the B/O lining but overlay it - do you mean that the widths are completely free of each other? Couldn't they move apart?
            Warm Regards,

Lizzie
            Signature Interiors

Comment

you can just ovelap the fabrics at the edge, by 2cms or so and machine down the centre, the same way as you would interlining I spose.Gxx

Comment

Originally posted by lizziesi View Post
                Philip when you say that you don't join the B/O lining but overlay it - do you mean that the widths are completely free of each other? Couldn't they move apart?
                Overlap them yes by 3 to 5cm there is no need to sew it together or hem as you have the sateen lining on top.

Philip
                Have you registered your business yet?

http://www.ukcurtainmakers.co.uk

A MyDecozo Directory

Comment

Working...
                X