interlocking lining

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• interlocking lining

do you really need to interlock the lining to the interlining/main fabric, or is it wasting time. (because i was thinking you dont need to interlock lining to main fabric. so why interlock the lining to (interling/fabric-surely that is now one piece.

Re: interlocking lining

Hi Dee

That was the first question I asked when I joined the Alternative Windows web site and I was told YES always!.... BUT I now work with a lady who has been in the business for over 45 years and she worked at the top end in London most of her life and she told me they NEVER interlocked anything to anything. Some people suggest that it is done to stop the interlining sagging/bagging into the bottom of the curtains, but I think it is done to stop air "ballooning" up inside the layers of fabrics as they are drawn open and closed. I think that with most heading once you have machine stitched the pleats or tape in place that the fabric is going nowhere.

I have curtains at home that I made for myself that get used everyday that have no interlocking and they still look beautiful (apart from a bit dusty on the top of the pleats!) and they are now 8 years old. I didn't bother with the interlocking because they were only for me, but I use to do it for the clients. Now I'm glad I didn't bother interlocking my own curtains because it has proved (to me at least) that it really doesn't make any difference even after years of use (which includes children playing hide and seek in them, furry friends sitting on them, and the same children roughly yanking them because they cant see the TV properly!)

Hope this helps
    Daisy

Comment

Hi Dee
      I would say it's purely a matter of choice, I interlock both interlining and lining because I'm used to doing it. Interlocking the lining does prevent the linings from ballooning and as you said, it keeps the fabrics together. If you don't want to interlock the linings, you can use a small chain stitch at the hems every quarter width to hold them fabrics in place.

Philip
      Have you registered your business yet?

http://www.ukcurtainmakers.co.uk

A MyDecozo Directory

Comment

thanks for the quick responses. (im sorry i havnt been on the site for a while, in the last year i have had a marriage break up and with one thing and another everything has been a lot harder, im working at a very slow pace. (but hope to get it all back together very shortly, (my life that is not the marriage).

Comment

Hi Dee
          I haven't been about much either, life and other family responsibilities have taken over and I wonder if things will ever get better. Sounds like you have had a really tough time recently, hopefully you have the support of some family and friends. Life deals out some really cruel blows sometimes as I have found out myself, but its good that you are getting back to thinking about curtains and the like. Focusing on a project or work can be helpful but don't be too hard on yourself. Give yourself a big hug from me.
          Daisy xx

Comment

thank you Daisy

Comment

Hi Dee,

Sorry to hear things have been so grim. You've hidden it so well I don't think any of us had an idea. Sounds like you've taken stock of things and I hope you'll soon be well on track with your plans. Sometimes fresh starts are just what we need!

As to interlocking, I like Philip do interlock interlining and lining. It doesn't take so long now that I use **** grid method. I just feel I'm giving my best by interlocking I suppose. However, it's great to hear from Daisy that her non-interlocked curtains have stood the test of time so well! There are always many roads to Rome. Personal choice in the end.

Lovely to have you back!

Comment

Hi Dee

As ever you know we're all here for you.. And it's good to see you back!

Philip - aka Schuhby

Comment

i like your new name pip. thanks for all the kind words . now im smiling

Comment

Hi Dee

Sorry I have only just started to catch up with the forum! I interlock along the seams only on everything interlining and lining!

To both Dee and Daisy

Sorry to hear you both have been going through problems - hope things are getting back to normal, its good to see you both back, have a look in the Lounge at Janes post about the Donkey - its caller 'A Little Story..' its a good little story, I think you both will benefit from. viewtopic.php?f=4&t=661#p3033

Kathy
                    K W Designs
                    Bournemouth

Comment

Working...
                    X