Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

White curtains required for insulation - Black out or interlined?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• White curtains required for insulation - Black out or interlined?

Hello!
    I am in the process of preparing to make white curtains. I know from previous experience that white fabric ideally requires a black out lining to hide the seams etc however the main purpose of the curtains is for insulation. The curtains are to stack back either side of the window where there is 40cm of space (each side). I am concerned that if I use a bonded bo/interlining that the amount of bulk will impede the window area. I note that companies such as Edmund Bell, Hallis etc refer to black out lining having insulation properties. I wonder therefore if I can get away with using just blackout or if this will fail to adequately insulate? I am stearing my client towards using a fine cotton face fabric and her chosen heading requires 2.5 times width fabric (total window/stack back width is 315cm). Any suggestions greatly received and also if able to recommend an actual lining (to include provider) I can then request a sample.
    Thank you in anticipation
    Bev x

Re: White curtains required for insulation - Black out or interlined?

Hi Bev,
    As one who lives in an extremely cold house, I would definitely recommend a heavy weight Bump (410Gms) Try a sample from Hallis or Evans. Personally, lately I have been using
    H 141 pre shrunk Bump. I think blackout does have some insulation qualities but probably not as good as interlining. I have used both together quite successfully. If you are doing pinch pleats perhaps you could make the pleats bigger, otherwise it may be harder to form them.

Comment

I would avoid bonded interlining, as the drape is not as good, particularly if you are going to use a fine face fabric.
      Kind regards
      Pen Harrison
      Colly Brook Fine Furnishings

Comment

Thx for your responses, Helen re bump you refer to, I see this is a natural colour and as such I would still need to use BO to keep the faric white so I am still concerned about the amount of bulk to fit in the limited stack back area? Alternatively, does anyone have any knowledge of the white non woven bump (HH H131)? My customer has chosen the hand sewn wave finish and I am (reasonably)! confident that this can be achieved with the thicker interlining.

Comment

You would want to buy bleached bump, the natural can give a streaky 'dirty' look behind light curtains. Or try a heavy weight saril.
          Janie

Comment

Originally posted by janie View Post
            You would want to buy bleached bump, the natural can give a streaky 'dirty' look behind light curtains. Or try a heavy weight saril.
            Janie
            You can also get white domett, 260grm which would be less bulky than bump.
            Kind regards
            Colina

Comment

I have now ordered the recommended samples and will make a decision once I have checked them out. In the meantime, my client has changed her mind re white curtains in 2 of the rooms, and we are down to just one room where the stack back is greater and the bulk will not be such an issue, phew! Funny how it pays off to mull things over for a day or two, thank you all for your help suggestions, it is appreciated x

Comment

White fabrics will need white interlinings and white linings or the colour will change the main fabric hue, please don't ask me how I know !!!!!
                I'd opt for the 260g sarille too as coco mentions.

Good luck

Comment

Thanks Tam, do you think I will be OK w/o B/o lining if I use just white domette. Personally I think I am going to need both, but thats 3 linings, nooooo!!! x

Comment

Have you considered using a heavyweight linen for your face fabric? Try Whaleys (ww.whaleys.co.uk) - I did some lovely Roman blinds in this for a customer .... I would use that with bleached bump and white lining, but that's just me!

Comment

Jackie, they sound gorgeous. You've got me wanting some now. Maz

Comment

I should have dropped in to see you yesterday Maz - I was thinking how dramatic it was as I drove over the M62 (very slowly!) .... it's definitely a very different sort of Yorkshire from my bit!

Comment

Originally posted by Jackie View Post
                          I should have dropped in to see you yesterday Maz - I was thinking how dramatic it was as I drove over the M62 (very slowly!) .... it's definitely a very different sort of Yorkshire from my bit!
                          You should have done. The traffic can get a bit bad around the summit - gives you time to sit and admire that old wreck of a farmhouse in the middle of the motorway. I think you live in the posh/pretty/green part of Yorkshire whereas I live in the windy Pennine area that's too high for much vegetation in parts.

Anyhow, enough of hi-jacking this post. I've looked at the linens on the Whaley's site - did you use the Charlotte Optic white? Do they do trade accounts or do you just buy on-line?

Maz

Comment

When I looked back at my records, it was the bleached linen union RM283 - so not pure linen - but made up beautifully and was very cost effective. I invested in a pack of Whaley's samples, which has been worth its weight in gold; there's always something there when you need a plain fabric for an unusual project. I buy online, and have popped in a couple of times when I've needed something urgently - it's not far from you at all.

Comment

Working...
                            X