Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pin Hooks

How do you insert yours?
    I have just spent the best part of an hour inserting 68 pin hooks and my right index finger is now battered and bruised.
    I must be doing something wrong should it be so hard to do.
    I do have a jet pinner but the hooks still end up coming out on to the right side.
    I position my hooks as close to the side of the pleat as possible and the try to get the prong thru the buckram but not coming thru the fabric to the right side.
    I never put my hooks into the pleat its self as if you have long heavy curtains the hooks just rip the stitches to bits.
    What do you all do please?

Penny
    Kindest Regards

Penny

Denton Drapes

Re: Pin Hooks

Hi Penny,
    use a jet pinner and put the pins into the seam of the pleat. As long as you have used good quality thread, there should be no problem. Alternatively, just practise altering the angle of the jet pinner slightly - the pins can be put in so they don't show on the front.
    Regards
    Pen
    Kind regards
    Pen Harrison
    Colly Brook Fine Furnishings

Comment

I do mine by hand and find it quickest to measure and mark the insertion points with a pencil or vanishing pen. If the fabric is thick then I use a metal kitchen skewer (like you'd test a cake with - not a flat kebab one) to make a pilot hole in through the buckram, then follow with the pin hook.
      Louise

sigpic Simply Sewing

Comment

Thank you ladies for your replies.
        First of all Pen what type of thread do you use a 75's?
        And what do you do if you have used fusible buckram even with single sided there is still some adhesion on to the face side and this has been my problem today and if fact it is a regular problem for me.
        Kindest Regards

Penny

Denton Drapes

Comment

Hi Penny,

I use 75's and insert in the seam and have never had a problem even on 3m curtain drop.

I think I must have stronger fingers than you, as use double sided fusible buckram and the pin hooks seem to go in....maybe that's why my hands look about 70 when I'm not?

Comment

re. adhesive buckram - I get the pin hook started through the buckram (but not the fabric) then wiggle it slightly to loosen the fabric from the buckram as I push it further in. This seems to work although it perhaps sounds rather clumsy.
            Louise

sigpic Simply Sewing

Comment

Hi
              I keep mine in a tin and spray with silicone every now and then, put the lid on and give them a shake, seems to make them easier to go in.
              I get mine from Riel Chyc and they seem to have a nice sharp point
              Cheers
              Clark

Comment

Hi Penny,
                I use 75's thread. I only use single sided fusible on interlined curtains, and then fuse it to the interlining. On just lined curtains, I use sewin buckram. Personally, I don't like to fuse the buckram to the face fabric, as I think sometimes it gives a very poor result.
                Regards
                Pen
                Kind regards
                Pen Harrison

Comment

I use a pair of pliers...saves getting fingers sore & blistered
                  Regards
                  Mairi

Comment

This came up once before and I took the advice - keep an old leather glove for the purpose. It must be a tight and thin leather glove or you cannot feel thru it. My fingers are fine now!

Sue.

Comment

Has anyone used the sew in hooks?
                      I have used them and find them so much easier at install for adjustment. They are called microflex hooks where i get them from. They work out a bit more expensive than pin hooks but i dont mind as you dont have the problem with inserting them as you do with pin hooks.
                      sharon

Comment

Hi Sharon

I've tried them on a sample and agree that they're brilliantly easy to adjust, but I didn't find them that easy to sew in. Got any good tips? I would like to use them more but don't feel I've got enough control over them at the moment.

Angie

Comment

I use a zipper foot to sew them in, you may already know that. I always sew my pleats from the bottom of the pleat towards the top, that way the curtain is behind the machine and not on your lap. Practice makes perfect, did feel a bit awkward to start with but was fine afterwards.
                          Hope that helps
                          Sharon

Comment

Going back to the gloves, the other sort of glove you could use for this is a gardening glove that has the little rubber dots on. It will help with the grip of the pins, at least, and you can feel what you are doing through them. Just don't use them for gardening inbetween curtain jobs, though!
                            Kind regards
                            Pen Harrison

Comment

Working...
                            X