Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hand Pleated Headings

Afternoon everyone
    I made some are beautiful triple pleated curtains this week and was given some wrong information regarding the returns, it turns out they should have been 10cms but I made them 5cms.
    So the pleats need to come out and be redone. I am a bit torn about if I need to take out the buckram and replace it with new or if I can get away with a jolly good press.
    My head is telling me to take it out and replace with new but to be honest I am really short on time.
    Do you think I might get away with just repleating. There are two pairs to be redone and a total of 40 pleats and it has been a very long hard week!
    Advise please?

Penny
    Kindest Regards

Penny

Denton Drapes

Re: Hand Pleated Headings

Hi Penny

I feel for you! I made a pelmet a few weeks ago, all beaded and hand made every inch of it ... When I took it to the clients house it was 32cm too long! Had to re-make it as a personal cost of £62! With regards to your issue, you should be ok using the same buckram, give it a good press and all the fabrics to cool before moving it. Same as curling hair.. Never brush your curls out until they cool!Why?... Because when hot it re-shapes.

Philip
    Have you registered your business yet?

http://www.ukcurtainmakers.co.uk

A MyDecozo Directory

Comment

Phillip what a star you are!
      Thanks for the tip about leaving to cool.
      I feel better all ready. I was just worried in case it was bad practise not to replace it.
      Isn't it horrible when you get to a clients house to fit and it doesn't. Off course all you want to do then is to correct it and get the blumming thing out of the work room as soon as. And then the added costs can really bring you down and knock your confidence.
      I am having a real bad run of mistakes at the moment all beyond my control. I will be at work all day tomorrow instead of going to see Indiana Jones with Martin and Scarlett.

Penny X
      Kindest Regards

Penny

Denton Drapes

Comment

Penny if things are going wrong and you're having a bad time maybe you should take the day off tomorrow and go to see Indiana Jones.. It'll all still be there Monday morning.

Penny can you get away with opening a few pleats and taking a cm out of each to make up the returns? I'd be tempted to open a few pleats, take one cm from each and take the rest out of the spaces in between the pleats.. Assuming your spring back allowance will all this.

If the curtains are thin you will probably need to replace the buckram as you may see the stitch holes when the light shines in.

Philip
        Have you registered your business yet?

http://www.ukcurtainmakers.co.uk

A MyDecozo Directory

Comment

I did consider just undoing a few pleats and taking out 1cm over 5 pleats but I am concerned about the appearance of them compared to the ones which have not been done. I will try one and see how it looks in comparision.
          The fabric is a thick woven fabric (on the plus side) and will not show up any previous stitching and I will give the sateen lining a good rub with my nails.
          Not going to work tomorrow is not an option as I have other deadlines next week too, but I know that this time next week it will all be calm again.
          Thank you for your concern Phillip I bet your at work now too!!!

P
          Kindest Regards

Penny

Denton Drapes

Comment

Hi Penny,

What a pain! However, you will soon have them sorted beautifully and go with what Philip says about not replacing the buckram. It would take forever and I too am sure it will be fine as the pin holes won't be seen through your thick fabric.

Make sure to take a little time out to chill, even if it's only a half an hour!

Jx.

p.s. Philip, tis true what you say about hair. Just a shame no one ever told my hair that!

signed: she of the straight curls or curly straight hair, which ever I don't want it to be.....

Comment

Hi Penny

I would make every other pleat 1cm smaller, if you can get away with it -No way would i want to undo that lot!!!

I have done that before and it looks fine.

Good luck

Kathy
              K W Designs
              Bournemouth

Comment

Thanks everyone for your excellent suggestions.
                I am going to have a go at reducing the first 5 pleats and spaces tomorrow and just get them out of the way.
                Kathy that was a very good tip you made thank you,and I will bear it in mind for future problems but I think that will just increase my overall measurment and I need to make the overlap bigger.

Enjoy your evening everyone.

Penny X
                Kindest Regards

Penny

Denton Drapes

Comment

Working...
                X