Triple Pleat Curtains

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Triple Pleat Curtains

Pleeese can someone help me before I throw these blessed curtains out the window (yes it's those red striped silk curtains again).

I've done the calculations for the pleats as follows:

The width of one unpleated flat curtain (with widths joined & sides turned in) is 316.10 metres
    Half pole length is 125cm + 15cm springback = finished flat width 140cm less 10cm for ends (5cm each end) = 130cm fabric for spaces
    Flat width 316.10 less finished flat width 140cm = 176.10 fabric for pleats
    Pleat size 15cm = 11.7 pleats
    Round up to 12 pleats = finished size of pleats 14.7
    No of spaces = 11 (one less than pleats)
    Fabric for spaces = 130cm div by 11 spaces = 11.8cm per space

Checking my calcs to make sure they work:
    12 pleats x 14.7cm per pleat = 176.1 cm
    11 spaces x 11.8cm per space = 130.0 cm
    10cm (5cm per end) = 10.0 cm
    Total = 316.10 flat fabric

I thought I'd got the numbers right but when I marked it out on the fabric - I had less pleats & about 16cm left which is too much for the end space but not enough to fit in another pleat & a 5cm end. I'm guessing it's something to do with that 10cm springback?

Should I mark out all the pleats & spaces then pin all the pleats OR should I mark a pleat, pin it & then mark the next one so the springback gets used up???

I do hope someone can tell me what I'm doing wrong!
    Jane

Re: Triple Pleat Curtains

Jane if you have a even number of pleats and an odd number of spaces, the center of the curtain will be a space - fold the curtain in half and work out from the middle. The top and the bottom of the curtain as it lays on your table will be mirrored. Mark the center space first and work your way across one half of the curtain, when pined do the same to the rest of the folded curtain. Remember the curtain is folded in half, so only mark a half center space to start with.

Philip
    Have you registered your business yet?

http://www.ukcurtainmakers.co.uk

A MyDecozo Directory

Comment

Hi Jane,
      I make your calcs correct - 12 pleats @ 14.7cm, 11 spaces @ 11.8cm and 5cm each end = approx 316.2cm.

I can't figure out where you've gone wrong - I assume you've checked that you have pinned pleat, space, pleat etc. and also rechecked the flat width of the curtain.

Regards
      Pen
      Kind regards
      Pen Harrison
      Colly Brook Fine Furnishings

Comment

Hi Jane
        Have you checked to see if the ruler or tape you are using is accurate.
        I once used a ruler that was 2mm less than it should have been over a 1cm and couldn't work out why my pleats wouldn't work out properly.
        Now I always use an engineer's metal rule 6" and 12".
        Kindest Regards

Penny

Denton Drapes

Comment

It won't help in this case.....but......I always do my pleat calculations with the same number of pleats and spaces as it seems to make the maths easier. Then you simply use half a space at each end when you pin the pleats out.

If you need to tweak things you can always take or add a few mm to these spaces at the leading/trailing edges.
          Louise

sigpic Simply Sewing

Comment

Louise,
            that's interesting, but it doesn't work if you are having a return to the wall on the outside edge, which can be 10-15cm, depending on the depth of the brackets.
            Regards
            Pen
            Kind regards
            Pen Harrison
            Colly Brook Fine Furnishings

Comment

When using returns you can subtract their size from the flat width before you start calculating the pleats and spaces, a bit like you might when working on a pleated valance and only want pleats on the front of the board.
              Louise

sigpic Simply Sewing

Comment

Jane how are you getting on with the silk stripe curtains, are they finished?

Philip

A MyDecozo Directory

Comment

I am thrilled, delighted, ecstatic and HUGELY relieved to say they are almost finished. I've worked so hard on them over the last few days & evenings, I took this morning off & went to the gym (so I'm knackered now!) But I've just hung one up and dressed it and am very pleased with the result. I'm about to stitch the top of the pleats & hang the other. Thank you to everyone for your help - couldn't have done it with out you all
                  Jane

Comment

Jane as we've all shared in the making of these curtains, I wonder can we have a picture of the finished product?

Well done!

A MyDecozo Directory

Comment

Thanks Philip. Have put a pic in the gallery. They're hanging at my spare room window and with the contrast between the dark fabric & the strong light shining in, the pic's not great. I've tied bands back round them and will leave them overnight before delivering them.
                      Jane

Comment

Working...
                      X