Puddles...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Puddles...

I'm about to start a pair of triple pleat curtains (I've only ever made a sample not a full sized pair before so fingers crossed!) The customer wants them puddled on the floor Can anyone advise how much extra length I should add for the puddling? I was thinking 15cm. With the fabric qty I've got, I can go up to 19cm. They're lined silk - customer didn't want them interlined (I know, I know!)

Also, when I measured, I took the hook drop to floor measurement. On triple pleats, how far down from the top edge of the curtain should I position the hook?

Thank you
    Jane

Re: Puddles...

15cm is a good place to start for puddling......if it was a heavier/thicker fabric you might want a little more to get enough fabric to dress nicely, rather than just make a fold.

How far down the curtain you position the hook depends on what the curtain is hanging from (like pencil pleat curtains too). If it is a decorative pole then the top of the hook is usually 1.5 - 2cm below the top edge of the curtain so the majority of the ring is still visible. If it is a track, then you need the measurement from the hook eyelet up above the top of the track so that it is hidden when the curtains are closed.
    Louise

sigpic Simply Sewing

Comment

I agree with Louise, 15cm is a good length although I do discuss the drop with the client ~ one has insisted on 25cm ! ( WAYYYYYYYY too long but hey ho, she wanted them that long! she got them that long~nightmare to dress) while other client have insisted on 5cm! So I would discuss it with your client and come to an agreed length to be on the safe side. Suggest 15cm and go from there.

As for the hook placement i always mark 4cm down from the top of the curtain with a fading marker, thats the point that I slide the pinch pleat hook into the heading ,which usually brings the hook to the required level if its a pole. If on a silent gliss track then I mark down 2.5 inches.

Good luck Jane and try and enjoy it, have faith, take your time and Im sure they will look fab!

Comment

Wow isn't this forum fantastic fountain of knowledge
        What I want to know is:- How does one go about dressing puddled curtains..& yes the puddles will be about 25cm because the curtains are 3 widths per side & client wants them to be dressed more than a third across the window from each side & scooped up with a tie back so i will need that extra length so that the leading edge will not be sitting up on the sill LOL.
        Now this is an even dafter Q but my mind has gone totally blank...what is the max size for side hems..Let me explain. The fabric is 142cm wide & the lining 137cm...yes I know I should have ordered extra lining but I didn't realize the fabric width when I quoted for the job...I have cut the selvedges of the fabric & sewn 3.5cm seams, trimmed my outer edges by another couple of cm but I am still to wide for my lining..I have started to turn the side hem on the leading edge in about 10cm but I am thinking I should just have trimmed some more off..Is there a rule of thumb about the depth side-
        hems/turns should be before stitching on the lining?
        Regards
        Mairi

Comment

Hi M

Have read your post again!

Some curtains I've just made for a client have 4" side turns (10cm) to marry with the 4" hem. They look great! I don't normally allow 4" turns but they haven't caused any issues

Comment

How much will you have given your workings so far? Sorry I don't understand your question but thanks for answering part of mine
            Regards
            Mairi

Comment

Love the hat tam! I usually peace 2cm from top of curtain then they hang just under rings.

Sophie

Comment

Thanks for the reply Jules....I think I will continue..gtg before my velvet starts to crush on the bench
                Regards
                Mairi

Comment

Working...
                X