Interlining heading only?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Interlining heading only?

I am making some blackout lined curtains as you may well know from previous posts! Just a thought, but would any of you ever consider using a strip of interlining just in the heading (Buckrum, as these are triple pleats) to give the pleats a bit of bulk and the nice rounded look that interlining gives?
    I really don't like just lined curtains as I think they look limp and a fit flimsey, but this is want my customer wants really for cost purposes. I am probably being too generous, but I want her to be happy.
    Any thoughts would be appreciated.....

I have done this in the past for exactly the same reason as you suggest. I don't like the ' sharpness' that you can get sometimes with some fabric at the top, and this solves the problem. Generous, well yes perhaps, but...a happy customer is a satisfied one.

Comment

I would always put in interlining over the buckram if its not a very thick fabric on lined only curtains. I also push down on the fold of the pleats with my fingers to make them look fatter and more generous. I really dislike the sharp edges that you get with lined only curtains. I like to be happy as well as the customer!!
      Janie

Comment

I have also done this in the past for the same reasons stated. I know it probably has not been allowed for in your costings but sometimes thats just the way it goes and that is what makes the difference from a "professional" finish and not.
        Kindest Regards

Penny

Denton Drapes

Comment

I have sometimes inset (by herringbone stitch) interlining to a leading edge on unlined curtains, just for the slightly more rounded finish.

Comment

I usually manage to use left over interlining as I keep odd strips etc. so it doesn't usually affect the costing.
            Janie

Comment

Glad to hear that it was not such a stupid suggestion then! Thank you all for your replies. Just out of interest where would you stop the interlining in the heading - right at the bottom of the buckram or extend it slightly to where the pleat is stitched at the bottom?
              I like the idea of putting it in the leading edges - thank you Cathie - I may well try this too...
              I have loads of old strips of interlining, haven't emptied my sewing bin for weeks (might have to dodge the odd apple core!)

Comment

I think that one is up to you. Try it one way on this job, if you don't like it, then do it the other lenght the next time. Either way, it does give a nice finish, and don't ever worry about a suggestion being stupid!!

Comment

Working...
                X